Thursday, March 10, 2011

It was bound to happen...


Running into an ex that is.

My city is not small by any means, but it functions like a small town. Everyone is separated by just one person and it's hard to get the dirt on just about anyone. For this reason, running into an ex is bound to happen when you both live here.

Remember Cy from last year? If you've been reading awhile you know what a jerk he turned out to be, if not go back to the end of 2009 and early 2010 and prepare to gag. I was disgustingly head over heels and gushed non-stop on here.

I had yet to run into him since our break up (via text) last March. I knew it was bound to happen so I was always prepared. I like to look my best as much as possible, but I don't make it a point to have a full face of makeup every time I go out. Every time I did though, I thought, "what if?"

I didn't have to worry though, the day came and I was prepared.

Last Friday two of my friends and I were out our favorite happy hour spot. It's semi-new to us, but we have made it ours. We are there every Friday and almost always at the same table. It's our spot. So, Friday when we're sitting at our table and Cy's best friend walks in, my heart plummets. At first I don't say anything to my friends and I just pretend I didn't notice him.

A few minutes later his fiance walks in. She's the one that I thought hated me while Cy and I were dating, but conveniently after we broke up she decided to like everything I did on Facebook. (annoying.)

I told my friends they where they were and we all pretty much shrugged our shoulders and blew it off. Nothing was ruining our happy hour place!

A little while after that my friend says she thinks she's Cy. I wasn't surprised. Where his BFF and his BFF's fiance were at, Cy wasn't usually far behind. He's a follower like that. When the time was right I looked over and it was indeed him. With his new fiance. (gag me.)

I'm so glad I was dressed up. That day was my first subbing job, so I was wearing nice dress pants and a sweater and full accessories. My hair was straightened and perfect makeup. I know I looked pretty.

Shortly after that the girls left and it was just Cy and his friend. We stayed and continued having a good time. My friends said he had definitely noticed me and had positioned himself so that he could see our table better. They said he looked like he was working up the courage to come over and say hi.

Thank goodness that didn't happen. I was prepared for it did, but I was really hoping it didn't. This went on for about an hour and it seemed both groups were playing the "this is our spot, you leave first" game which, we were clearly going to win.

Win, we did.

We ended up being at the bar for 7 hours (!!) and a good half of it he was there too.

I'm glad this moment is over. I'm glad he saw me and I looked pretty. I'm glad he saw what he is definitely missing.

Have you ever had an awkward run in with an ex?


12 comments:

Kimberly said...

i don't know if i've ever commented here before, but i've been a long time reader. i just got out of a relationship that, unfortunately, was very similar to yours with cy. although he ended things in a e-mail which i guess might be a step up from a text message. i live in sort of a small town and when i go out, i'm always worried that i'm going to run into him...it hasn't happened yet, but i know it's only a matter of time. hopefully i'll be looking cute when it does.

Lesli said...

Looking good is the best revenge!!

Amber said...

Wow I can't believe it's already been a year since you and Cy broke up! Look at how much better your life is now too :)

I'm so glad you looked hot and felt confident the first time you ran into him, that's a great feeling!!

Suz said...

My ex lives really close to me (in a house I helped him find no less) and there is a big shopping/restaurant area right between us. I am always so scared I'm going to run into him and the 20 yr old waitress he moved in to his house (who knows, they may be married now)!

I saw them once. I was checking out at Target and looked up after swiping my credit card and he and his GF were a few lanes away checking out too. I don't know if they saw me, but I am pretty sure he did because as I had to follow them (from a far far distance) out of the store he started cuddling her and putting his arm around her. I wanted to puke. on them.

All exes should just move far far away after a break up so this situation isn't even possible.

Kara said...

I have most of my ex's as "friends" on Facebook, but I can't remember the last time I saw any of them. I've been in a relationship so long now it doesn't really bother me to see them in public.

That being said, I'm so glad you made him seem a little jealous! I love being able to go "Haha, look at what you're missing!" It's so empowering.

p S h A o R t A o said...

Wow has it been that long since the break up? I hadn't realized I've been following you for that long =)

I'm glad you were "prepared" and you definitely took it like a strong woman! I'm proud of you girl!

I don't have any exes so I can't say I've gotten into a situation like that ever.

P said...

I have an awkward run-in with an ex most days . . . he's my boss! Eeek!

I love that you were looking fab when you ran into Cy though - usually people only seem to run into exes on a bad-hair, dressed-in-the-dark type of day, don't they? It's sod's law. Glad it wasn't that kinda day for you.

Heather said...

Its been a year? Dang. Im glad you stood your group and hopefully he wont be showing back there again

Shoshanah said...

Thankfully I've never had an awkward encounter with an ex. But if I had to have yours, sounds like you came off looking pretty good here

Tiffany and the Munchkins said...

Yikes! It sounds like you handled yourself well though! Kudos to you!

Thankfully I don't really have any exes to run into. I've been with my husband since I was 13 and the "boyfriends" I had before that weren't really boyfriends, more like friends, because we were too young for that really (and yes we are all still friends).

d.a.r. said...

I'm glad it's over and that you were in control :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That rocks! You are clearly the winner in that failed relationship (ps love that quote from satc)! That's awesome that you were looking good and having fun with your friends. I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches out to you in the next few days. Guys always hate seeing girls having fun and moved on from them!