Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Finally on the payroll!


I have been holding out on you guys big time!! It's been almost 4 days since my first subbing job and I haven't blogged about it! Shame on me...

Well, everything happened so fast last week, all in one day I was added onto the payroll in two major districts in my area and later that night got a call for jobs in both. I took the first call I got because I was terrified there wouldn't be another one (little did I know there would be another one directly after it). I'm really glad I did, because it was for a smaller suburban middle school in a 6th grade Language Arts class. This was perfect for me! I'm sure I had two offers right away because it was a Friday, but still...

The night before was probably hilarious because I was flying around the apartment trying to get my outfit ready... get my lunch ready and I was just giddy in general! My sister thinks I'm nuts. She thought all my rushing around to get everything "ready" was pointless because I wasn't going to be able to sleep. Well... she was wrong. I got 5 full hours of shuteye. ;)

I arrived at the school 10 minutes early the next day. At first I was a little annoyed at my own punctuality, but later I was really glad I did that because it gave me a chance to really look around the room and quadruple triple double check the lesson plans that were left for me.

Due to it being a Friday and a Language Arts class there was a lot of downtime with independent reading time or writing time. I could have kicked myself because the only thing I brought to read was the newspaper. Thank goodness the classes were visiting the library that day. I was able to borrow a book so that I could read with everyone else. I have learned my lesson and I will always bring something to entertain myself with! A few times... okay, a lot of time, I checked my phone and I am feeling a little guilty about that. I would hate for the students to tell their teacher that their sub was on her iPhone all day. I wasn't texting, but was more playing Words with Friends. It was very accepted in this classroom to use iPods, iPads, and other electronic devices for writing, but I still feel bad. I'm going to avoid my phone from now on.

Overall I really enjoyed my first day subbing and I can't wait to do it again! For the rest of the semester I should be subbing every Wednesday through Friday. My only complaint is on nights like last night when I didn't know if I would be subbing or not, but definitely wanted to be.

On Monday and Tuesday morning I got calls around 6am, but couldn't take the job because I had class both days. So, I figured this morning I would get a call around that time. I set my alarm for 6am and hoped I would get something. Last night there was a subbing job available online for a 9th grade PE class but something about that scared me, so I didn't take it.

I didn't get any other offers either, so in hindsight I should have taken the PE job.

I'm really bummed, there are only a few more days until spring break next week, and I already have plans for Friday so I can't work that day. I just have Thursday to work another day! I hope I get called!! For my budget to get me through the summer I need to substitute 30 days before the end of the year. That is the bare minimum and I'm really hoping to get in more than that.

I'm sure I'm going to have be persistent about it and check the website religiously to try and get a job. Once I get a few more under my belt I will be opened up to more positions.

That's my theory anyway. Fingers crossed... I'm off to find something to do for the day!

Btw, Lent starts today! Did you give up anything?


1 comment:

Shoshanah said...

I know I said congrats on twitter, but again just wanted to say congrats on your first sub job! I'll be crossing my fingers for ya that you keep getting called throughout the year!