Friday, March 18, 2011

Going gaga for Gaga!


Want to know where the best people watching in the Midwest is?

It's not the state fair... Or the mall... Or downtown in your city... Or a small town...

It's at a Lady Gaga concert in the middle of cornfields and farms...

Ok, so it's Omaha, and there are few fields to feast your eyes upon in the city, but there are lots on the way there!

Yesterday three of my best friends and I headed to our neighbor to the west, good ol' Nebraska, to see one of my FAVORITE artists, Lady Gaga!

Two years ago we saw her open up for New Kids On The Block, and nobody had barely heard of her. Her single, Just Dance had just come out and we thought she was a little weird (uh, duh) but that her songs were catchy. Since then I have downloaded anything that has come out by her and loved just about everything.

Each time I see her speak or being interviewed I have fallen a little more in love with her. Everything she advocates for is stuff I totally get and am completely on the same page with. I have written a little about gay rights on this blog, but not too much... Obviously, she's a huge supporter of the LGBT community, but she also hugely supports any type of individuality.

In between songs she would talk to the crowd, and at one point someone threw a Barbie on stage at her. She picked it up, and goes, "I hate her! I hate her butt, I hate her boobs, I hate her hair... This is what I think of Barbie!" Then she snaps the doll in two.

Then somebody threw a stuffed bear, or some sort of stuffed animal on stage and she picked that up too and started ripping all the stuffing out. She claimed that she hated it, because all of that stuffing was FAKE.

This all may have been staged and set up for the show, but it was impactful! I loved it.
Seriously, I had to stop myself from crying, my eyes were welling up. I did not expect it to be so powerful for me.

What also caught me by surprise was how much she PERFORMED. I knew she was a true performer, but she sang each and every song, no lip syncing. She also played the piano, it wasn't pre-recorded... you can totally tell when they do that. I WANTED to hear the mistakes, I want to see the LIVE music. That's what I paid the money for! Then she acknowledged the fact that she wasn't some "blonde bitch that pretended to be an artist and could sing"... hmm, whomever could she be talking about?

(btw my friends and I saw Britney two years ago and her concert was horrible. I doubt she even know what city she was in. I will always love Britney, but some artists are just not cut out for live performances.)

This concert was hands down, the best concert I have ever been to. I have never jumped, danced and completely let go of myself as much as I did at this concert. Perhaps it was the sort of mosh pit that was general admission on the floor that we immersed ourselves in, I don't know, but it was a ton of fun. Plus, I got in a GREAT workout. My legs are screaming in pain today - they got worked hard! Jumping for two hours will do that, I suppose! :)

Here are a few pictures of some of the new friends we made at the concert... Excuse the poor picture quality! All I had was my phone and I could not fix the glare on the eyes!
I'm grateful for artists like Gaga that support and encourage individuality. This world needs more people like her.

6 comments:

saucyminx410 said...

OMG people are super hardcore at Lady Gaga! That's awesome - I wish I could see her live!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

It is so fun to see talented performers live! Sounds like it was an amazing show! I can def see how it was a good work out. Standing for that long is tough and then add in all the jumping and dancing and that's alot of calories burned! I am glad you had such a fun night with your girlfriends!!

love jenny xoxo said...

I'm obsessed with Gaga!! I saw her in St Paul in August and almost won tix to see her in vegas a month ago.

Next time you must dress up :) Little monster!

Mandy said...

So glad that you had fun at the concert. I really need to take in her show live. "The world needs more people like her." Yes! Just yes.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I love the fact that people dress up for Gaga at her concerts!! I would looooove to hit up one of her shows!

Alicia said...

I went to see Lady Gaga on March 4th and it was the best concert ever! The people who went were amazing, and I've never had so much fun in my life.

I wish I had more guts to dress up though...