Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Books and Bars (3)


I cannot believe we just wrapped up our 3rd month of the book club I started this summer! It means summer is going by way too fast!

You can read about the first three months here and here.

July's book was The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Literary Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Burrows. We had seven members at the meeting, which is the highest we have had so far, we are growing!

We met at a really cute restaurant in Beaverdale called Tally's. I chose it because they have a fabulous rooftop patio and I wanted to be able to sit outside. Unfortunately, there was rain and storms in the forecast so Tally's closed the roof. :(

Inside Tally's was nice, with lots of twinkle lights and simple decor. It was cute and romantic, and would be a great place for a date! We did sort of sway away from the whole "bars" part of the club this month so we have decided to stick to more "bar-like" places instead of restaurants.

We had quite a heated discussion about July's book and members of the club either loved it or hated it. I didn't care for the first half of the book, but I liked the second half. Everyone seemed to be in agreement with me about that one. Some hated the story and felt that it didn't make sense, and others loved it. It was really a mixed bag!

For August we had a tough time deciding what to read. Several of us had suggestions and some of us didn't care. We decided to throw each suggestion in a basket and draw. The book we drew was the one I suggested! Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda is the book we're reading for August and the bar we chose to meet at is Mullet's in Des Moines.

I'm excited to meet at Mullet's because it's laid back and easygoing. It's a fun place to meet up with friends, and they have a great patio with a fantastic view of the river!

I can't wait to meet up again in August!! Hope the book I chose is good! ;)

What's on your reading list lately?

5 comments:

Kara said...

Right now I'm pretty Dreams of Joy by Lisa See, and the next book on my list is Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner!

I've heard lots of good things about Secret Daughter, but I'm still apprehensive about picking it up.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I really liked the Potato Peel Society book. I think i was a bit confused with it initially, but I came to love it.

So fun that you are doin gthis club!

Lesli said...

Oh, Tully sounds cute. I love twinkling lights. Never been there!

Jenny Georgio-who said...

I'm reading a million books right now thanks to my e-reader.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
The Help.
Safe Haven.
There are more but they aren't coming to me right now.

Becky said...

I love that you do books in bars! I loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society!