Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Gettin' hooked back up!

I'm returning from the Dark Ages tomorrow and finally getting my cable and internet hooked up! I have gone two weeks and two days without it. Whew! For all media addicted chicks like me, that is a lifetime! Thank goodness we live in a time where there is free wi-fi everywhere (too bad I can't pick up on of those free signals from my apartment!).

I was going to try and go without cable for awhile, so for the past two weeks I have been using one of those converter boxes and rabbit ears. Let's just say, it sucks. The picture is a little better, I will admit that, but it doesn't come in very consistently. It will go out right at the most annoying moments. Like when the younger version of Lily on Gossip Girl is trying to decide if she wants to get tangled up in a fight between her new crush or follow her sister! That is just unacceptable.

Sooo, tomorrow I'm getting plugged back in! I am doing without one little luxury though (well, not so little) and that is DVR. Now, it's not that I can't afford it, I absolutely can. It's just with all the major networks showing most episodes online or the existence of websites like hulu it just seems pointless to have it anymore! Now, I know I will miss features like being able to pause, rewind or fast forward but I think I will live.

What do you guys think? I'm sure most of you have cable, but do you have DVR too? What do you spend more time doing, watching tv or time on the internet?


7 comments:

Miss Sweet Tea said...

I HAVE to have my DVR...I just can't live without it. But I'm currently very upset with it because I record House and Gossip Girl on Monday nights. The DVR said that 2 shows were recording, but the only one that is showing up in my list is House!!! Aargh - of course I want to see GG more, it even has a higher priority too. Sorry for the rant!!!! But yeah, I can't imagine life without my tv friends :)

Amber said...

I watch Grey’s on Thursdays and DH and B&S on Sundays and that’s pretty much the only time I ever watch TV. We have satellite but we are getting rid of it once our year contract is up to save $60 bucks a month. $60 is not worth it when I only watch three shows a week and Eric only watches TV when the playoffs are on, we can get cheap cable or something instead.

I would go crazy without internet though, I spend a few hours on it everyday!!! Bad, I know, but I always say that blogging, facebook, twitter etc. is my little addiction. Hey, I could have a lot worse addictions right!!

Anonymous said...

oh i have lived with basic cable for the past 2 years and now that i have a *real* career i've decided to get digital cable & a dvr.. i have never had either and it is quite exciting.

i suppose the fact that i've just moved to a big city & know no one has helped me towards the decision to splurge a little extra in those areas...since i will probably spend the next few months at home watching tv/playing on the net while i meet people :)

Lesli said...

I am spoiled by the DRV, I admit. But shockingly, we lived without them in the past and life was fine. I just think we get used to certain little luxuries and it is hard to do without them. But you totally can.

Anonymous said...

I grew up on Nickelodeon, so I swore I could never live without cable. But I have for almost two years.

On the plus side, I have a new-ish digital TV, so with the digital antenna, the picture comes in just fine. I also have a pretty high subscription to Netflix, so between that and TV on the Internet, I feel I'm satisfied.

Sure, I miss out on all the gossip about Jon & Kate Plus 8, but I've learned to deal.

Weekends are the worst, there's nothing on network TV. That's where Netflix comes in. Also, I hate Hulu. The few times I've gone on it, I've been looking for shows they don't have (i.e. the first part of the current season of 30 Rock). So for me, that hasn't been so useful.

Shoshanah said...

I would say in total I spend more time online, but still spend a lot watching tv. I don't have a dvr, but wish I did. My parents do, and I get a bit spoiled every time I go to visit them.

marisol said...

Before I moved to SF at the beginning of the year, I had cable with the DVR. 500 plus channels and all the TV I wanted. I recorded everything I could - Oprah, Ellen, Intervention, etc because I could. I was watching way too much TV.

Now that I live here, I don't have cable. I still watch some shows but I watch them online. I find that without having TV it forces me to get out and do more things. I still use my TV for movies and hook up my macbook to see things on Hulu on a bigger screen.