Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Why is gratitude so hard for some?

All the Christmas gifts are bought, the decorations are up, travel plans have been made, my cooking plans are set... Now, we just need Saturday to get here (and stay here!).

This week at work we have been busy setting up for the clearance sale that begins on Christmas Eve and continues through December to prepare for all the new Spring goods we're getting. With each passing day I get more and more excited. Excited to leave. Some people have questioned that I am going to miss it a little bit. Perhaps, but what I won't miss is the struggle to manage people.

My newest assistant manager is extremely difficult. She runs out of work at the drop of a hat and lately I am beginning to wonder if she is only working so that she can get further assistance from the state. I am not against assistance to people in need at all, but what I am against is people that milk the system. People that don't work hard on top of it and take every hand out they can possibly get. It really gets me going. I work very hard and have been working since I was 14 years old (with the exception of the first semester of my freshman year of college) and I have always worked very hard. To see other people skate by with hardly any effort... frankly, that pisses me off.

The funny thing is... These people actually think they work really hard and slam me because of my age and where I am at. Really? Do you think I was literally just handed everything? No, I worked my schedule. I worked while sick, I worked while battling personal issues at home, I didn't slack off... Those things do not go unnoticed (usually!).

It may sound like I'm judging people, and maybe I am. Maybe there are more facts to learn regarding a certain person's situation. But, after helping a person out so many times without even a thank you. That gets wearing and honestly, makes me not even care. Which is where I am. I don't care.

I have 18 days left of this responsibility and I am going to do my job just as I always have. But, I'm done caring. It gets me nowhere. Maybe I am moving into another thankless industry by going into education, but I don't think so. Maybe that is naive, but I really don't think so.

This post wasn't meant to be whiny, but I'm afraid it came off that way! Thank you for reading, as usual the blogging community always makes me feel better.


1 comment:

Kara said...

I HATE it when people assume I was handed everything in life when the truth is that I worked my ASS off!

A friend of mine once told me I was privileged to have a car of my own. Umm, no! I worked my ass off! Debt-free after university? Worked my ass off! House of my own? Ass, worked off!

I don't find your post whiny at all! In fact, I'm giving you a virtual high-five, lol!