Sunday, December 26, 2010

Jaded

You guys, I am so jaded, it is disturbing. My dislike for the general public is scaring me. A LOT.

Let me explain.

You all know I work in retail. 5 times out of 10, people are rude instead of nice. I have been treated like dirt so many times, I can't stand it. It makes it harder and harder to grin and bare it. With each passing day I do not want to go that extra mile to make somebody's day and I dislike people from the moment they walk in my store.

Instead of being grateful for their business like I should be, I'm irritated that they are in the mall and only want them to leave. It's like I'm waiting for the bad and not ever expecting the good.

Today we had this woman in the store that was shopping with a $50 giftcard. Her 10 year old daughter was hanging on to the card and thought she had put it in her pocket. It must have fallen out because a few minutes later her mother was fah-reak-ing out. I'm talking tears and snapping at us to start looking for her giftcard. About five of us started frantically looking for it (in the mean time the line for the cash registers is out the door) and we have no luck. I ask her if I can take her name and number and call her if it turns up and she wasn't having that. It seemed anything I said to her was just awful. She wasn't feeling me at all. She did however love the girl that I have just for holidays. (She IS a total sweetheart). So, I let her handle the situation under my watchful eye. I gave her the number for our customer service to freeze the giftcard and hopefully re-issue a new one.

In the meantime, I was fuming. Why wasn't I good enough to help? Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says dumb blonde? I have felt this resistance from people for a long time now. A long time.

I think it's only getting worse and I'm really dumbfounded by it... but as time passes it is becoming clearer and clearer. I'm not happy and it's so obvious. I don't smile with my eyes and although I am sincere about doing my job, I don't really care. Ya know? I just don't. I wish I did, but I don't feel like I am doing anything that is impactful and worthwhile.

I don't feel like I'm making a difference. At my old job (which to some it would look very similar to the company I'm at now, but trust me, it's not) I felt like I was making a difference. I was making a little girls day. I was making someone smile. I don't do that now. It's not really possible (in the same sense) yeah it's fun making your sales plan and getting that bonus, but does a bonus really change who you are? How you look at life?

Nope, it doesn't. The money runs out and you're still the same person (just better dressed).

So, I had a wake up call today. It's not that I sincerely do not care about these people, I care. I'm just not motivated to go out of my way because... well, they probably wouldn't do the same for me.

I wish I didn't feel so "what's in it for me" but I guess that is why I am getting out now.

So, I'm sure I'm doing the right thing and hopefully I won't be so jaded anymore!

Have you ever felt this way towards the general public? How did you snap out of it?

PS: Our customer service center is working on the giftcard issue for the lady. Hopefully they can re-issue a new one. She ended up apologizing for freaking out and wanted to get all our name to write a letter to our home office. So, hopefully we get some recognition for putting up with a little crazy today... :)

9 comments:

Lesli said...

Oh, Amber, sweetie, i am so sorry you are feeling this way. I think you just have retail burnout. It happens! I, too, have noticed people just seem ruder and ruder, especially (and unfortunately) this time of year. Sending you lots of hugs and positive thoughts. You are almost done!

I will never forget the lady who freaked out on me because her reed diffuser was leaking & she was threatening to sue our company. She was nuts! But when she talked to somebody else the next day she was just like night and day and sweet as pie. I will never understand how people can treat other people so poorly.

Love ya!

Paige said...

oh my GOODNESS can I relate...I've been working retail ever since I was in high school and it really does wear on you more than I think people realize. Glad you made it through this little situation! :)

Brenda Susan said...

I feel so sorry for salespeople at this time of year and I always make eye contact and try to cheer them up a bit.
Maybe you are ready for something different, could be your preparation?
Hope you are well rewarded for the crazees!

Brenda Susan said...

I feel so sorry for salespeople at this time of year and I always make eye contact and try to cheer them up a bit.
Maybe you are ready for something different, could be your preparation?
Hope you are well rewarded for the crazees!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Ugh, that is awful... So sorry you had to deal with that.

I think that you are experiencing something akin to senioritis... I tend to feel similar to how you do when I am about to leave a job. You know you are almost done so your patience tends to go out the door because you have put up with a heck of a lot for so long. Here's hoping the rest of your time is a bit more peaceful!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I work with the general public everyday and I know exactly what you mean. Some days I feel really jaded but other days I realize that I have to just let it roll right off my back because people can be horrible and it's their own insecurities coming out of them! Hang in there!

P said...

I can't stand it when customers are horrible to people who work in retail. As long as I am being served by someone who is nice to me I won't take my bad mood out on them. People who do that are just horrid.

Miss Southern Prep said...

I am so sorry, I can't imagine how annoying that must have been! Hopefully you'll get recognized for putting up with that crazy lady!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Oh boy that is extremely frustrating! Retail can be extremely frustrating but then again so can your future job. I feel like I win in the end when people apologize for freaking out :)