Saturday, December 18, 2010

A little bad, but a lot of good.


I am feeling a little sorry for myself tonight. I don't know if I'm just ready to be done with my job, or what but every little thing is bugging me.

Pretty sure it's a culmination of a bunch of little things and I'm about to burst, but I feel so unappreciated by my staff that I just can't take this anymore. I am so flexible and so lenient with these girls and I hardly ever get a thank you. All they do is, take take take. I'm just tired of managing people, I guess.

A simple thank you would go so far with me. It's really all I want, but I don't think I am going to get it. I know I'm not a perfect manager, but I know I'm not awful either. Things could be so much worse for these girls and they appear to think they have it so bad.

I have 21 days left, I know they are going to fly by but I honestly could not be happier. Managing people is rough. There is no way you can please everyone and for someone like me who wants to keep everyone happy it can be pretty wearing.

Some of the good things that did happen this week though...
  • Wrapped up the semester and I'm 99% sure I have As in both my classes. I'm so, so, so pleased and proud of myself! I hope I can continue this with every semester.
  • Finished quite a bit of Christmas shopping and now just have two presents left to buy. (Debating between a Kindle or a Nook for my dad)
  • Got some great tips from a girl in my class that has been substituting for almost a year now. I'm so glad I talked with her, I have some great ideas now!
  • We're continuing to work with Lexie, and she's doing fantastic. We weren't supposed to keep her but I don't see how we're ever going to be able to give her up. We're still struggling a bit with teaching her to let us know when she needs to go out, but it's getting better.
  • Had a sushi night after my last final with one of my best friends. We had some great sushi, great conversation and some really great wine. It was definitely needed.
  • Then tonight my four closest friends and I had our Christmas get together. We exchanged presents (we just do white elephant) and I got some really cute earrings and some Bath and Body Works lotion (in sensual amber! lol) it was a lot of fun but I'm bummed I forgot to take a picture! Here's an old one of us! :)
Overall, I know I have a lot to be thankful and I just need to get through the next month or so and I will have a break.

What was good about your week?


4 comments:

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Sensual Amber is my fave scent from Bath and Body Works! hoping for some underneath the christmas tree.. ;)

Shannon said...

Congrats on the possible A's!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Well that's great that you're reading to move on and start subbing! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I think managing young people gets old really fast. I managed young people about 4 years ago for my current employer and it drove me crazy because it was essentially like babysitting. I haven't tried managing people since as I fear it will always be frustrating for me, but I think managing an older group of employees would be better/more fulfilling.

Sounds like a good week for you! The highlights of my week were meeting my friend's baby yesterday and holding him! And then getting all dressed up and going out to dinner and then to a holiday/30th party!