Sunday, December 6, 2009

Best of '09 Editions four, five annnnnd six.

Yikes guys! What was I thinking committing myself to a month long challenge that required I blog everyday? I failed by the third day!

Oh well, here I am now with December 4-6. Better late then never, right?

December 4 Book. What book - fiction or non - touched you? Where were you when you read it? Have you bought and given away multiple copies? (+ giveaway)

Definitely The Shack, by William P.Young. I read this book back in February and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. I have encouraged several people to read it (although have been holding on tightly to my copy!) and am considering purchasing it as Christmas gifts for many of my friends.

Here is the description found on Amazon:
Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

If you believe in God, but sometimes have your doubts this is the book for you! It really made me think about why things happen in a totally different way. I found it made my relationship with God even stronger, even though it was fiction! Read it! I haven't met a single person that didn't love it.

December 5 Night out. Did you have a night out with friends or a loved one that rocked your world? Who was there? What was the highlight of the night?

I'm going to have to go with last weekend. I'm choosing last weekend because it was the first time I really went out and partied with Cy's friends. I had such a great time and am growing to adore his group of friends. They are all from the same (semi) small town in Iowa and have been friends for years. My group of friends are very similar, as we have been close for the past 10 years and it's the same kind of unconditional love, but we are all growing up and the past few years have been a little rocky with new marriages and careers. Although, no children yet! Surprisingly! I'm the youngest of my group and even though I want the marriage, the house and the possibility of kids I haven't sowed all my wild oats. I like to go out every weekend and let loose. Just in the past year I had kind of been hoping to find a guy with a great group of friends like Cy's. I feel so fortunate right now to have him, he has made my life so incredibly happy. I don't know how I got so lucky.

Anyway, I lost focus.

The night out! We went to a little dive bar that is actually a Hawkeye bar, which are the Cyclones' biggest rival! It was called The Longest Yard and you could get your beer in one of these yard glasses. Yes, Cy and I got one and guess who finished theirs first!! Me! Haha! I even took a picture of my empty glass next to his glass to prove it! I had such a good time getting to know Cy's friends better and I can't wait to have many more nights like it!

December 6 Workshop or conference. Was there a conference or workshop you attended that was especially beneficial? Where was it? What did you learn?

Hmm... not really! Besides a couple of meetings in Omaha for work, I didn't go to anything like this! Too bad, I like this kind of stuff. Especially the motivational workshops!

Well, that's it for me! Hope you all are having a great Sunday!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a neat challenge. I'm going to try it too....So I need to make up for 6 days. Ekk.

Kyla @ The Simpsons said...

I love the challenge idea! What a fun way to remember the year :)

How did you like Lauren Conrad's book? I want to read it so bad!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

With every post you do, I can tell how happy you are!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I'm still debating on what is my top read of the year. The Shack is on my to-read list. :) I left you an award over on my blog!

CIP said...

This is so cute! I've never heard of it before.

It's so hard to pick a favorite book of the year!