Friday, June 3, 2011

Sweet Valley Confidential

I am so thankful I didn't give in to myself and buy this stupid book. I put a request in at the library for it and it took forever to get to me. When it did come in, I practically ran to the library and expected to devour it in less than a day, just like I did when I was kid and reading Sweet Valley Twins.

The opposite happened.

I could barely get through it! This book was TERRIBLE! On Goodreads I am being somewhat nice, but I can't on here. It was so bad!

There were typos and so many facts messed up about the characters in Sweet Valley. The only reason I know the trivia about the characters is from a review I read (trust me, I'm not that obsessed with them), but the typos were pretty obvious. I noticed several. In fact, by the third one I actually looked to see who published this book. Usually, I delight in finding a typo and have never found more than one in a book. Not so with Sweet Valley Confidential.

I appreciated that Francine Pascal made Elizabeth and Jessica into real 27 year olds, but I did not appreciate how far she went. I do not want to know about Elizabeth's orgasms or her nipples. Jessica's dialogue was also a little too much for me. Pascal just through in a "like" in between every other word and decided that sounded like Jessica today. I get that Jessica was supposed to sound immature, but it was too much for me.

This book was total overkill. I wish I could say I liked it, but I (obviously) hated it. I forced myself to finish it and I think I barely, just barely skimmed the last 100 pages just to get it over with.

Don't waste your time. If you were a fan of the Sweet Valley Twins growing up, this book just might make you despise them now.

PS: I am guest posting for Kara over at Chatter. She's getting married TOMORROW, so I filled in for her for a day. Be sure to check it out and send her some quick virtual love before her big day :)

7 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That is disappointing!! Hate when a book disappoints. :(

I no longer go easy on reviews on goodreads. One time an author emailed me about my review, as I had called out the fact that there were typos. She was super defensive, but luckily I could respond back to her with specific errors from the book... I hate it when a book is poorly edited!

d.a.r. said...

I really wanted to read this, but I've heard it was terribly and a complete disappointment.

Stephany said...

Oh, man! I have this book on my To Reads so I'm disappointed it was such a bad read. It has a pretty good premise, too!

I just read a book that had SO many typos that I started writing down each time I saw one. It was pretty awful.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh no! I've been hearing this same review. I was really wanting to read it but now I don't know....

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh no! I've been hearing this same review. I was really wanting to read it but now I don't know....

P said...

It certainly didn't live up to my expectations or the hype. I was really disappointed in it too.

Miss Oakley said...

Thanks Amber for the review! I can cross this off my "to read" list!