Monday, May 25, 2009

Run, Amber, Ruuuuuuuun!!

On Sunday I started running. I am writing this post in hopes that you guys will hold me accountable because during the last 5 minutes of my 20 minute "run" I was thinking to myself, "How am I going to be able to do this?" It didn't help that the last 5 minutes was slightly uphill (I say slightly because I'm in Iowa and it's more like a slight incline...) and it made it seem SO much harder.

I know this is common and it's not easy to start with and it only gets easier but that was tough! I was completely out of breath. It was awful!

This is the schedule I'm following for Week 1:

5 minute walk to warm up
60 second job
90 second walk
Repeat for 20 minutes
5 minute walk to cool down

My plan is to do this every other day for the first week. The rest of the schedule can be found here. It's nine weeks and it slowly works your way up to running three miles. I love the title of the beginners plan! Ha! I'm not a couch potato though, I swear! (Ok, maybe sometimes. Aren't we all? No? Ok.)

I don't really have a goal. My main motivation for running is to drop some weight and get in better shape.

Wait! I just remembered!

I do have a goal!

Today I tried on a pair of jeans at the store I work at, and they were a size 16 1/2 in KIDS sizes! I was able to button them (did they look good? No.) and I was so excited, I mean, these are kids sizes! Ha! My goal is to fit into them comfortably because tons of them are SO cute, cheap and they don't all look like kids clothes. Many of them are simple, or they're distressed in certain spots. Basically, they're adorable. I've been putting off trying anything on in there because I didn't want to be depressed if I couldn't fit into the children's clothes (lol) but I bought a pair of them for one of the girls on my management team who's birthday is tomorrow. Her and I happen to be (almost) the same size, she's about a size or two smaller. It was nice to be able to try the jeans on in the comforts of my own home and not have to risk the embarrassment of having them not fit in front of my staff. I really didn't think I would be able to pull them up past my thigh! Boy, was I surprised!

Today is a resting day (ha! day two...) and I plan on getting up at 7am to run for 20 minutes tomorrow. We'll see if that happens, I'm so not a morning person. Wish me luck! :)

I hope everyone is enjoying their day off! I'm off to a BBQ with the fam for some sun, fun and yummy food!

11 comments:

Amy said...

You can do it!

I used to be the kid in highschool that dreaded the 12 min run, because I could barely run for 1 minute!

If I can do it, ANYONE can! :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I hope you have a good time at your BBQ!

Amber said...

Great job! I'm so proud of you for going running.

If you keep it up you'll be surprised at how quickly it comes back to you! And, even after running regularly for the last 5 months, and doing my half-marathon I STILL have to take walking breaks. I did a 15 K race on Sunday morning and I had to take TONS of walking breaks since it was so hilly and hot out. Just listen to your body because you definitely don't want to injure yourself!!

And I will SO be holding you accountable, if you don't blog about running for awhile I'll bug you in the comments about it :P

PS: Read your retail post on my blackberry this weekend so I didnt' comment, but I used to work at a clothing store and have also served for YEARS (not quite the same) but I know what you mean. Some days customers can be SO annoying and sometimes so nice. A simple 'Hi, how are you' goes a LONG ways!!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Haha, thanks guys! I know I would hate having to tell anyone I didn't drag my lazy butt out there so that should be motivation enough! Ha!
Thanks for the support! :)

Pursuit of Matching Accessories said...

When I was reading your workout regiment, I was like, "That sounds so much like the C25k plan!" Then I saw it was. :) I did that last year but could skip steps and that was not a good plan... it burnt me out. I ran a 5k last summer, but afterwards, quit cold turkey. So start out slow and hang in there! It will get easier every day! Just getting the motivation to do it is the most difficult part, so once you're there, you'll be fine!

Anonymous said...

We're doing (need to start doing again!) that same plan! Good luck!

SassyGirl said...

Wow it's incredible that you could fit into the kids-sized pants! Keep going, you can do it!

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gosh! I’m so excited for you and this new program of yours. I might have to try it myself! How exciting! You kept talking about exercising…good job. I will be holding you to that. ;P

ps- children clothes?? unbelievable, you sure you need to lost weight??

Lesli said...

check my blog - I gave you an award!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Ha! Ha! Trust me, the pants DID NOT look good. Maybe if I was 10lbs lighter they would... I'm just happy I could button them!
I was going to run today, but it's been raining ALL day. So, I think I'll do something inside (a workout dvd or something) and then hit the trails tomorrow! :)
Thanks for the support! It really helps me keep myself in check and not quit! You all are the best!

marisol said...

Totally behind in my blog reading. How is the running going?