Wednesday, January 14, 2009

2008 year in review

January

Still working for the college and looking for a new job. Interviewing with a company that my friend works for and am really wanting the job. I was very unhappy with my current position and extremely bored!
I turned 26 and was feeling good about it! This month I also completely broke things off with "Liar" (remember him??) and I think I bruised his ego a little! Go me! haha!

February

Still working for the college. Still unhappy. This month all my former co-workers gathered for their annual meetings in Chicago. This would have been my fourth time attending. It hit me pretty hard that I wasn't present or employed with the company I was so passionate about anymore.

March

This was kind of a big month! "Liar" apologized to me for being such a tool. Annnnnnd this is the month that I found LIBBY! My mother decided I needed a cat. I think she was really worried about me living alone. Not because Des Moines is scary or I lived in a bad area, I think she was worried I was depressed! She may have been on the right track! I found Libby at PetSmart in West Des Moines and am still obsessed with her. She has added so much joy to my life, I couldn't be happier! I looked for a long time for just the right cat and I definitely found her! :) I was also STILL interviewing for that position I mentioned back in January and still unaware if I got it or not.

April

Found out I did not get the job. :( This month we also got a new director (or dean) at the college I worked for and he was the biggest chauvonist jerk I had ever met. I wasn't the type to kiss butt when it wasn't deserved and he definitely did not like that. I also considered getting Libby de-clawed this month (didn't do it) and started interviewing for another job.

May

The demise of my Macbook took place in May. This is when I had to learn to live without the internet at home. It has taken several months, but I believe I am finally cured. Thank god my computer will be fixed soon :)

June

Not around too much this month due to the ol' computer problems... I am now forced to blog from work. Oh no! Gasp! The horror!
This month I finished up the Harry Potter series and fell in love with them. I was completely engrossed in the story of Harry, Ron, Hermione and Hogwarts. I definitely plan to read them again and hope my children (that do not exist) will love them as much as me. :)
This month is also when Val disappeared! I still miss her blog very much! Anyone know what happened?

July

Spent the 4th of July at Lake Okoboji and had a blast. I also developed a crush on a 19-year old college sophomore. Still interviewing for that job, yes - STILL! Found out I didn't get it. Still extremely unhappy at the college, but determined not to let that ruin my summer. This month we "hunted" for men (lol), had not luck, oh well, still had fun! Libby also made her "great escape" during a power outage. Luckily she was fine and came home, she just wanted to go outside and check things out :)

August

The wedding of the century! One of my BEST, BEST, BEST friends got married in the most fun wedding EVER! (Excuse the all caps, I'm excited!) There were 9 bridesmaids and 9 groomsmen (damn, they're all married!) and we had the best time! After the reception we all went back to the hotel and jumped in the pool in our dresses/tuxes! It was hilarious and so much fun!
The Iowa State Fair was also during this month, I'm not a crazy Fair-goer like some people here. I did have a good time though! This month I also picked up a second job at a small sports bar in West Des Moines. So far so good!

September

Fell off the face of the earth blog-wise. This month I started really slacking with keeping up! SOrry guys! :(
This month I got in touch with my former employer and started toying around with the idea of going back... I was still very unhappy at the college and had been let down twice now with jobs that I didn't get. On the bright side I was really enjoying working at the sports bar and even made plans to move in with one of the girls that worked there!

October

I turned in my notice at the college and started work again with my former employer! I couldn't be happier! Things were going great!! They made me feel like I never left and I have never felt more loved! I know I made the right decision.

November

HISTORY IS MADE! The first African-American President is elected to office! What an exciting time for our country!!
The day after the election I received some of the most horrible news in my life. The company I work for, the company I am so passionate about and love is closing it's doors. All locations nationwide were due to close in early 2009. Everyone is in complete shock and unsure of what to do. Including me.
This month I also ran into the man that I considered the "love of my life" so far. We met when we were about 12 or 13 years old. Right before high school. It has been very off and on with us since then. The last time we spoke was five years ago right before I moved to Kansas City and graduated college. The sparks were definitely still there...

December

The announcement of the company closing has completely changed the job. This month I tried to go forward and keep the smile on my face but it was slowly disappearing. As strange as it sounds to outsiders, I was grateful I was hired back on. I am going to be a part of the final chapter of this fabulous company and I couldn't imagine it any other way. Christmas came and went. The liquidation has kind of ruined the holidays for me but when I was with family I tried to focus on them and have a good time. Everyone encouraged me to start looking for a new job, but I just wasn't ready emotionally. Things with the ex were not looking good. He has tons of personal baggage and unfortunately is not able to give me what I'm looking for. I'm still hoping it will work out with us someday, but now is not the time. I'm just glad we're back in each others lives.

2008 had a few trials and trumphs for me. I wouldn't call it a "good" year, but I wouldn't call it "bad" either. I am hoping for a stronger and happier 2009. I'm not making any New Year's Resolutions this year, besides to focus more on myself. I'm vowing to put myself first and stay happy. I am also determined to have a sense of humor about everything and not take myself too seriously. Why sweat the small stuff? :)

1 comment:

Lesli said...

Welcome back to blogging, Amber! And I loved your recap. Happy 2009!!
xoxo