Monday, December 12, 2011

Pretty me up, please!

About a year and a half ago I gave up a bi-monthly indulgence that was costing me almost $500 a year.

Can anyone think of what it is?

Go ahead, make a guess. I'll wait.

...


...


...


If you guessed regular manicures, you would be right! I planned for regular manicures in my monthly/weekly budget and got my nails professionally painted and made to look pretty every two weeks like clockwork.

Some people got massages, I got manis. Rarely did I get pedicures (I'm too ticklish), but I loved having my nails painted.

See, I had in my head that I just couldn't do it myself as well as the nail salon could.

After many years of doing this, I finally smartened up and kicked this expensive habit. All of those weeks where I paid to be using somebody else's nail polish, I could have been buying my own!

Today, I buy maybe (maaaybe) two nail polishes a month and I give myself a manicure that rivals an nail salon each week. I love painting my own nails, and I love the comments I get on the colors I choose.

Last week, I was French Quarter for Your Thoughts by OPI - it was a crowd pleaser and got many comments! One guy said it was a little too "January" though, and I should be wearing something "cheerier."

This week I am wearing "Size Matters" by Essie - which is the cheerier red that this guy requested. ;)
Over the course of this transition I have accumulated quite the collection of nail polishes! I clearly need to venture away from reds, pinks, purples and grays - huh!?

Point of the story: I gave up an indulgence and it turned out to be so much better. Now, I actually enjoy picking "crafty" nail projects from Pinterest and giving them a try on myself.

Have you ever given up an indulgence that you once swore you never would be able to? What's your favorite nail color?

10 comments:

Mandy said...

I love nail polish a lot and always have my nails painted. I love that gray color but I also really like that red. I usually only wear red around the holidays. =) There are just too many other fun colors to wear.

Kelly said...

I love nail polish! I change the color on my hands and toes weekly. I really like the "Size Matter's". I haven't seen that color yet but it may have to be the next one I buy. If you have an ULTA near you their brand polishes are really good and very cheap. My favorite since fall has been Sally Hansens Commanader in Chic.

Becky said...

I actually enjoy getting a pedicure more than a manicure - there's something so much more relaxing about someone rubbing my feet than my hands.

Um, asking me to pick my favorite nail polish color is like asking a mother to pick her favorite child.

Chrissy Thomas said...

I used to get acrylics. It was my favorite 'me' thing to have done. I now give myself and my 7 year old daughter mani/pedi's every Sunday instead. =)

Amber said...

My nails are only ever painted IF I get a manicure. So maybe 3-4 times a year? I just don't ENJOY painting them myself even though I like having painted nails!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am with Amber - my nails are only painted when I get a manicure, so maybe twice a year? I don't enjoy painting them, and I am not GOOD at painting them... So they are always unpainted, which I don't mind! I think I own 1 jar of nail polish?

My indulgence used to be lattes. When I worked at Target Corp, I had a venti latte every. single. day. Yikes that adds up very fast since a venti is close to $5. I ditched that habit a couple of years ago, I started making coffee for myself at home and I treat myself to a starbucks or caribou drink on Fridays. Saved quite a bit of money!

Jenn @ Bliss to Bean said...

We stopped our indulgence of going out to eat so much---healthier & saving tons of money!! I love your nails! I get mine done, for now...I will probably give it up once we have have kids but for now, it's my thing. Your colors are so pretty!! <3

Lesli said...

I rarely get manicures--just paint them myself but monthly pedicures (and twice monthly in summer) are a MUST. Nobody can do my toes like a professional--plus you get foot massage thrown in there! I also get twice monthly massages. I used to get a blowout every week--but I did wean myself off that--it got very expensive!

Kara said...

I've had a manicure once and the quality was horrible. It made me a little jaded against getting another one. When I do paint my nails (which is rare) I go for beige-y neutrals. Nothing too bold or out there! I'm more of a pedicure fan ;)

I don't think I've given up any indulgences! I have such horrible will power!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I like that "size matters" shade. I NEVER (well maybe once every three years or so) paint my nails. I had a friend who used to get regular manicures and she started doing them on her own and really saved a ton of money too!

I would say my indulgence is travel. I save money so I can travel. I will go without a latte so I can travel. I will pretty much do anything so I can spend a few hundred bucks on a flight a few times a year.