Sunday, August 30, 2009

The evils of FB.

Am I the only one that considers deleting their Facebook account on a daily basis?

No?

Whew! I'm so glad...

Seriously though, I have been thinking about deleting it for quite some time now. The only reason I haven't is because there are so many people on there that I wouldn't have contact with otherwise. To go through all those people and get this information is just too much work that I am not willing to do.

But if I didn't have a Facebook I wouldn't know that....

A.) Three of my friends (and former colleagues) are planning a lunch/dinner soon, which isn't so strange. What is strange is that I haven't been invited. As far as I know, I've always been included. I guess not this time.

B.) My ex is getting serious with a new girl, which I share the same first name with.

Now, if I didn't have Facebook I wouldn't know these things. I don't need to know these things. My feelings wouldn't be hurt if I didn't have a Facebook and have this information at my fingertips 24/7.

Although, if I didn't have an account I wouldn't know about some of my long lost friends from college, high school, middle school and even elementary school. I wouldn't be able to see pictures of friends that live halfway across the country and around the world. I wouldn't be able to update several people at once about important milestones, like what I had for lunch when I got a new job.

So, you see my dilemma.

For those of you that are friends with me on Facebook, I may not be on there as much anymore because of things like this. There are things I am just better off not knowing. I think I will be utilizing Twitter instead! You can find my page here.

What is your opinion of Facebook? Does anyone just love it? Hate it? In between? What have you stumbled across on Facebook that you would have preferred not knowing?

9 comments:

Amber said...

I've definitely seen things on Facebook that ANNOY me, but I find that I spend A LOT less time on it now that I'm so involved with reading blogs and Twitter. I mostly just check status updates now.

In your settings you can change it so that some people's stories DON'T show up on your homepage. Maybe that would help?

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I have a love/hate relationship with it. Every couple of months, I go through and delete a bunch of people, and I am not friends w/ any exes because I feel like i will stalk them & see what they are up to w/ their new girlfriend, etc.

But I have so much family on there - like aunts and cousins - and it's great to keep in touch and share photos that way. So for now I am staying on there...

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I haven't thought about deleting facebook but I've given major consideration to deleting myspace. I feel it's become sooo sleezy and skeezy!

Lesli said...

On a regular, if not daily basis, I consider deleting in no particular order my MySpace, my Facebook, my Plurk (which nobody is on!), my Twitter, and even....shockingly....I think about deleting my blog. But so far, they are all still up and running, if somewhat ignored. I have mixed feelings about all of them and sometimes I am really into them, and other times, they feel like another job or chore I have to do! And also what you said, there are just some things that I do not need to know and I wouldn't know unless I wasn't so wired into the internet world! But then I do stop and think about the people who I would lose touch with, and then I don't do anything about deleting my accounts.

d.a.r. said...

I actually just went through and took off all of my pictures, everything but my basic information (schools, work, etc) and deleted about 100 people that I would never ever talk to in real life if I saw them in the grocery store. I really want to get rid of it, but I do use it to keep up with family and friends who have scattered to the corners of the earth.

But, I do contemplate it on a daily basis :)

Anonymous said...

Facebook gives me too much information about people who without facebook I wouldn't have a care about...

Shoshanah said...

I know I can be ridiculously noisy, so I am a bit addicted to facebook, and think I would go through withdrawals if I ever closed my account.

My myspace page I've thought about deleting several times. Maybe eventually that one will happen.

Organic Meatbag said...

Facebbok is OK, and I can use it as an excuse to not have to go to a high school reunion...hehehehe...

CIP said...

Ugh, I contemplate this all the time because I think it ruins relationships, but I'm too much of a stalker to actually delete it! Haha.