Friday, December 28, 2012

Book Club Friday

Hi! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! Mine was fantastic, probably the best I have ever had and I cannot wait to share all the details with you later!

I am sure I am not the only one feeling this way, but today does NOT feel like Friday! We got back from Spencer yesterday after spending Christmas in the boyfriend's hometown, and all day yesterday I was confused on what day it really was. I have to keep reminding myself what day NYE falls on, because I just cannot keep it straight! That is what you get when you work the *oddest* hours ever!

Good thing it is Friday though, because Friday's mean book club! Today I am linking up with Heather for her weekly meme where bookish bloggers link up with their reads for the week.

For my local book club, Books 'n Bars we are reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I have been itching to read this since it was released and was really excited when it was so well received when I suggested it for our December read. We do not meet until January 2nd to discuss the book, and I am so excited to talk about it!

Wild is a memoir about a woman that hikes the Pacific Crest Trail. Alone.

Cheryl Strayed hikes over 1000 miles over a 3 month time period from the Mojave Desert to the Oregon/Washington border by herself. She had no experience with long distance hiking and decided to embark on this journey as a way to pull herself out of a deep depression and drug addiction after suffering from a divorce and getting over the death of her mother.

What I enjoyed the most about this book was reading about Cheryl's determination and her drive. This book was so inspiring because she decided on a goal and she set out determined to finish it. NO MATTER WHAT. The obstacles that she encountered were life threatening and this made many parts of the book so gripping for me. I could not put it down and I just had to know how each day went for Cheryl. It really made you stop and marvel at how much we really are capable of in life.

I also really enjoyed learning about the PCT and I have officially added "hike a day on the PCT" to my lifelong bucket list. People that take up long distance hiking have such a unique culture among them and I really loved learning more about the sport (or hobby?).

If you are a fan of memoirs and enjoy inspiring books that make you feel like "I can do anything!" this is the book for you!

What book did you read this week? 


7 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I read and enjoyed this book, too. I would love to hike part of the trail as well - I could never do the whole thing like she did! She came and spoke at the Minneapolis Books and Bars this fall but I was not able to attend, which was a bummer!

This week I started The Light Between the Oceans which I am really liking thus far!

Stephany said...

It totally does NOT feel like a Friday, so much that as I pulled up your post in my Reader, I was like, "Book Club Friday? But it's not Friday!!" HA!

I have not read this book but I have heard such great things about it that I want to soon!

Anne said...

That book sounds AMAZZZZING!! To be honest, never been an avid reader, but I really want to change that for 2013. I'm relying heavily on your posts for some fab finds in the book department.

Have a great weekend friend!!

Lesley said...

Adding to my list! I've seen this a few times around and I need to pick it up! x

Shoshanah said...

I feel like everyone is reading this book lately. Definitely on my "I want to read this eventually" list

Lauren @ Love, Water and Wine said...

New to your blog and love the book suggestions! I've already started a new list from your reviews. Thanks!

Amber said...

I LOVED THIS BOOK. I felt like it was something I really needed to read at the end of 2012 and it really resonated with me. I would love to hike part of the trail as well and Eric and I might start with spending a week hiking the west coast trail in BC this summer (it's only about 80 km so we could probably do it in 5ish days!)