Sunday, May 8, 2011

Local shopping! Des Moines Farmer's Market 2011



We had a wonderful time at the first Farmer's Market of the year! We started the day early, and boy am I glad we did!


Each Saturday morning the market attracts an average of 18,000 visitors and last year on opening day it broke records and had 30,000 people stop by. 30,000! That's insane!

I love bringing Zeke and he loves it, too. He's just like the rat in Charlotte's Web, sniffing around and begging for food. I'm waiting for him to break out in song and dance...

With too many people there it's just too hard to walk around and enjoy yourself while keeping an eye on a sneaky dog... We have to get there early and beat the crowds. My sister and I got there about 8am and it was already hopping, but it was still easy enough to get around. I bought some asparagus, tomatoes and cinnamon rolls (which, I had to toss because I would have ate the entire pan...) and some artwork. Artwork? Yes, artwork. Check out this adorable little boy selling his drawings for $1! We just had to buy one, so we got one of a dolphin and it is a 2010 original that is now proudly displayed on our refrigerator!


I also got my spinach pupusa that I was craving! Have you ever had a pupusa?

It's a traditional Salvadoran dish made of thick corn tortillas. If you're really snazzy, it's called masa de maize, which is cornmeal dough in Spanish. The cornmeal is filled with cheese and any other filling you may like (I get spinach, my sister gets pork) and then topped with a cabbage slaw and salsa. It is divine! The best place to get it is at this vendor at the market. There's a Salvadoran restaurant in Des Moines (near North HS, for you locals), but it's just not the same. :(

(PS: I haven't completely given up cheese, but I have cut about 85% of it out of my diet. I am already seeing a difference!)

I wish I had snapped a picture of the pupusa, but I gobbled it up too fast. Zeke had a few bites, but I get mine with hot salsa and he doesn't like spicy foods as much as me... ;)

I did get lots of pictures of random stuff... including some leftover artwork from the Drake Relay's street painting. Loved the one pictured above! :)

Do you shop at your local Farmer's Market? It's become one of my favorite things to do over the summer!

8 comments:

Shoshanah said...

I have actually had a pupusa! It was fairly recently at a little restaurant in New Orleans. It was actually really good, and I'm a little surprised I hadn't had one before

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I've never had a papusa - nor have I heard of them! Sounds super yummy and I bet it's gluten free!

There is a farmer's market in downtown Minneapolis on Thursdays in the summer. It started a couple of weeks ago. I try to buy some veggies and other things down there and this summer, I want to buy flowers for myself on weekends when I will be around. :)

Erica said...

I read Iowa Girl Eats and she's always talking about the market and pupusas. Sounds delicious! Hope to get to a DM Farmer's Market one day this season. :)

Wendy Annabeth said...

Oh, how I love going to the Farmers Market :)

Amber said...

The Farmers Market makes me want a dog SO BAD! I love seeing all the pups there on the weekend :)

Ours started a couple of weeks ago but it doesn't have tons of fruits and veggies yet. I go almost every weekend in the summer!

Lesli said...

I love Farmers Markets, but mostly I buy flowers and I should bring my dog!

Lesli said...

p.s. I have that same t-shirt that your sister is wearing, the yellow one with the bicycle! I bought it at Target last year. :-)

Becky said...

Um, that's a HUGE farmer's market! How are you not overwhelmed! I made the first trip to a local farmer's market this morning and got a couple things but I'm ready for it to be more than just leafy greens! I know, I know, there's that whole "in season" thing for all the different produce, but what can I say, patience is not a virtue I possess!