Sunday, January 9, 2011

Literally, nothing to do.

I kind of feel like a bored little kid. You know, when you're bored out of your mind and have nothing to do? That's me right now.

It hasn't quite sunk in yet that I do not have to go to work... and it's a very strange feeling! I feel like there are things I should be doing, but there really isn't anything to do until Wednesday. Wednesday I go downtown and turn in all my stuff for my subbing license. It seems like it's taking forever to get the components of this thing nailed, because IT IS taking forever! Sheesh!

At this rate I won't be subbing until the end of the month. Once I get the license I have to actually go to the school districts and apply and who knows how long that's going to take. Fingers crossed I can get everything checked off on my end by the end of the week.

On a more positive note I got to looking at my class schedule and realized that I only have night class on Mondays, so I can sub Mondays as well. Wait, did I tell you all that a few days ago? Oh well, I'm telling you again. I'm just that excited! Ha ha! :)

Anyway, back to being done with WORK. I know, I know I'm not actually done working. I'm not really just a college student. I'm going to be working four days a week. It's just weird that that store isn't mine anymore. I am no longer responsible for 2 million dollars in sales, a 2000 square ft store and 30 employees.

For those of you that may be a little new to ALPITC I have been in retail managing my own store for approximately six years now. I got really lucky right after college, where I majored in Fashion Merchandising and Design, and got a job as a store manager six short months after being the assistant manager. I say lucky, because most people have to work as an assistant for much longer. So, I was able to move up to higher volume stores at a pretty young age. The store I just left is one of the highest volume stores in my region (2nd highest out of 110 stores to be exact) and is a powerhouse! It is busy all the time and the amount of stuff in that store is just insane. Insane and completely overwhelming.

Well, the layout of my management stuff is pretty simple. There's me, then I have my two full time assistants and one part time assistant. One of my FT assistants has been with me two years and the other one is new and only been there a couple of months. The newer one has been making my life hell.

It's not her fault (well, not really) she's the type of personality that just stresses me out. Every time I see her name pop up on my phone my blood pressure starts to rise and I feel on edge and can't focus. She's just ... I can't even explain it. There's just something about her personality that I can't stand. She freaks out about everything and she doesn't listen. She doesn't listen to direction at all. It makes me crazy. She doesn't read direction either.

Sometimes I think home office spells everything out so completely that I think, gosh, do they think we're in kindergarten or something? No, it's for people like her. But then again, it's not for people like her because she doesn't even read it!

It makes me nuts.

Well, this morning she texted me because one of the drawers was short last night. At first I thought I should ignore this. I am no longer getting paid to answer these questions! But, then again I was there yesterday and I don't want money missing on my last day. So, I did what I could to help. I really hope they find it. It makes me nervous.

She still makes my blood boil though. I honestly think I would have started to get high blood pressure if I continued to work there with her. She make me that crazy, and she's only been there a couple of months. I'm sure you all have worked with people like that. Some personalities just clash, I guess! I've always taken pride in the fact that I can work with so many different personality types but as I'm getting older I'm getting more and more set in my ways and unwilling to change, cause I just feel like I don't need to change! I'm the boss... right? (errr, was the boss)

Tonight their setting our their first spring floorset and it's a huge one. Basically, three walls, 10-15 feet long, get switched around. Imagine rearranging your entire closet, but multiply that closet by like 20. It is not fun. Some people love it though. I don't.

I didn't plan for my last day to be the day before this floorset. When I turned in my notice six weeks ago I had no idea the floorset would be scheduled for January 9th. I feel a little bad, but if my boss had asked me to stay an extra day I totally would have. But, she didn't ask! (and I didn't offer)

So, I'm a little antsy at having literally nothing to do but I'm trying hard to embrace it. I need to bury myself in bed or on the couch with my Nook and finish some good books! I'm having a hard time sitting down long enough to finish There's Cake in my Future so that I can really dig into The Help!

I'm seriously considering ordering my textbooks early (I really should get them ordered now anyway) and getting started on the first chapters. When did I become such a nerd?!

What are you guys up to this snowy, cold Sunday? Do you get nervous when you have nothing on the to-do list? Does that ever even happen to you??

5 comments:

Lesli said...

I watched a marathon of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. That is how productive I was today!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

What a great feeling to be done! Must be a little bit surreal. But hooray! Can't wait for this next chapter of your life to begin!

I guess I really never get bored or stir crazy... I also find something to do. Even when I took 2 weeks off between jobs and had nothing going on during the day (besides lunches with friends), I still feel like I stayed busy! I say enjoy the time while it lasts! Soon enough you'll be busy between subbing + grad school classes!

Leigh Hutchens Burch said...

Girl, I hope you relaxed and enjoyed your down time. I wish you lived closer to me because I would have had you over and given you a list. ;)

My Christmas tree is still up, my vaccum cleaner is on the blink (er, did I just say "on the blink?!") I REALLY need to dust and mop and organize the spare bedroom.... sheesh. All that cleaning and nesting I did in the fall sure didn't last long!

Anyway, I can't wait to hear about your subbing experiences. I subbed when I was in college (early 2000's) and I LOVED it. (Mostly.)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Yay! Enjoy your time before working again. hope it all gets straightened out for the subbing!

Anonymous said...

strangely, you have successfully bored me too. thanks for passing it on.