Thursday, February 18, 2010

You may call me Ms. Pink


Yesterday I had a second meeting with an advisor about the beginning steps of being admitted to grad school.

Step 1. Get ready for the Praxis 1.

Apparently, I need to get going on this right away as the test scores take awhile to come in. I ordered some study materials and have been looking at sample test questions online. So far it looks like I will be fine. The math is only up to a 10th grade level and the reading/writing won't be a problem for me. I'm still nervous though! I hate tests.

I'm so excited though! I really want to get started right away! As of now I'm definitely getting a reading endorsement and am considering a special education education endorsement. Special ed is in such high demand right now and it could be the difference between getting a job or not getting a job. I understand the commitment that is and I want to observe some special ed classrooms but for now that is what I am leaning towards.

I really hope this works out. Right now it just feels right. I know that I what I am doing now is not something I will be happy doing forever and this feels like something I could be happy doing. I'm going to start subbing on my days off during the week just to get a feel for being in the classroom and see how I like it. I think that will tell me A LOT.

Any teachers out there got advice for me? What endorsements do you suggest?

8 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's great! I know from some of the stuff you've said on here you seem to really want this. So I'm glad it's all starting to come together!

Jamie said...

The test really isn't that bad...you'll do great!

As for endorsements, a special ed endorsement would be great! I got a reading endorsement with my Masters but I kinda wish I'd gotten an ESOL (English as a Second Language) endorsement.

Subbing will definitely let you know if teaching is what you want to do! It can be challenging but it gives you a lot of experience :)

Heather said...

Its really great you are doing something that you want to do. I cant wait to hear more about your trek

Jen said...

I think both endorsements will help! All of the middle schools I have worked at have the teacher run a one hour literacy class in the morning because all the kids are at different reading levels. In elementary, they switch rooms for awhile in the morning and with that endorsement, you would be more valuable. As far as special education, it will help too as they sometimes mix classes, so even if you have someone come in to help with certain kids, you will still know what is best for them or what is the best method. Good luck with this! :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Good for you! It's so smart of you to find something that you know you can do long term!! Good luck w/ the studying, I am sure you'll do great on the test!

marisol said...

Good for you & good luck!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I love working with special ed students but that is exactly why I decided not to finish my Master's in Special Ed. Would it get me a job? Probably. Would I most likely be pigeon holed into special ed for many years? Yes. Would I end up frustrated and burnt out? Yes. I love them, I enjoy them in my classes but I cannot be their full time teacher because I do not want to start to dislike my job and or get stuck there. Just my two cents. Though I wouldn't mind taking more special ed classes. I am certified to teach Birth -8th grade. 6-8 is only English and Social Studies. My Major was Elementary Education with minors in Early Childhood, English and Social Studies. When I get my butt in gear to email my advisor again to change my Master's I will be working towards a K-12 Literacy Masters. Which is what I wanted all along. I would suggest getting endorsements in areas you excel and like because ultimately if you are going to have to take a job in Middle School because that is where the job is, you should probably like what you teach. Science and Math would have made me more marketable, but not happy.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the Praxis, I'm rooting for you, team pink 100%!! xoe