Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Time to caucus!


Today are the Iowa caucuses. Living in the capital city of Iowa makes it difficult to avoid all the hoopla! All of the nominees are here and there have been people with "Honk for Newt!" signs on street corners and other obnoxious propaganda all over any possible spot.

So, what does it mean to caucus? A caucus is a meeting of supporters, typically of a political party or movement. It's basically supposed to be like a neighborhood meeting or townhall meeting.

Want to know a true fact? Until after college, I lived my entire life in Iowa (except for about a year, which I do not remember because I was a baby) and I thought that all 50 states held nationally publicized caucuses during an election year. I thought Iowa was just special because they were first and typically right. Yep, true story. ;)

The Iowa caucuses are followed closely because it's considered to be an early indicator of who remains in the race, who will drop out and who will win the nomination for their party.

To say it's been insane in this area is an understatement. I don't usually talk about politics. At least I try not to, but every once in awhile I tend to go off on Twitter or climb up on my soapbox. I'm talking about it today, but I'm not really taaaalking about it. If you know what I mean.

I can't tell you who I am supporting, because.... I don't know. It's so overwhelming to me, and the 2012 election is worse than ever! I wish there was a clear nominee that I could say I, without a doubt, support. It's just too early for me to decide. If I make a decision I will undoubtedly change my mind, so it's best just to keep weighing the pros and cons.

I have a love/hate relationship with politics and everything that comes along with it. On the one hand, I love the feeling of being involved and feeling knowledgeable about the people that represent my country and state. On the other hand, I hate the drama, the lies and the uncertainty. I hate what goes along with claiming to be a part of this party or that party.

There's still plenty of time to decide, so in the meantime, I will try to enjoy my home state being in the spotlight! It's definitely funny to see tweets from celebrities asking where to buy winter coats in Des Moines (cough, AndersonCooper, cough).

Do you enjoy politics?

4 comments:

HS @ Our Debt Blog said...

Please vote for MITT!!!!!! I'm from Texas, you don't want Rick Perry and Ron Paul can't win.

Newt?! Really?! lol

HS

Stephany said...

I don't really follow politics, nor understand a lot of what happens. And honestly? It feels like no matter who wins the presidential election, most of America will hate the president within 6 months. It's frustrating.

Anderson Cooper is so yummy, though. I love him.

Kara said...

American politics is SOOO much different than Canadian politics I find! Either way - I'm mostly confused by the whole process. I can't say I like or dislike them, but I try to keep on top of what's going on simply for work purposes!

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Ugh... I always run shrieking away from anything politics-related lately. It's only been lately, though. I'm scared for next year...election coverage, junk mail... AAGH! :)