Monday, March 30, 2009

Little sweethearts <3

Something I am most passionate about is kids. I love kids and hope to someday have a family of my own. I have always been a kid at heart and can play with them for hours. When I was younger (probably somewhere between 11 and 13) my best friend at the time and I were inseparable as most girls that age are. She had a younger sister that was 4 or 5 at the time and my friend would always get mad at me because I would pay attention to her sister and let her tag along with us. Ha ha!

When I see children being neglected by their parents, or overhear their parents say something truly horrible in front of them I am disgusted. I manage a children's store so I see my fair share of children's tantrums and fits. It doesn't bother me, they're kids and kids throw fits. It only bothers me if parents give in right away and give them what they want. That is just asking for more.

Well, the other day this woman came in with her two small children and right away we knew she was not happy with her kids. Then we heard her say, "God, I hate kids."

Wtf?

Why would you say that within earshot of your children? I was so disturbed and disgusted by this woman. I wanted to shake some sense into her. Does she not realize the psychological damage she is probably doing to her small children? They are going to grow up thinking their mom hates them.

Then the other day I was enjoying a relaxing day at Barnes and Noble reading and a little girl probably around the age of 4 walks by my chair crying "Mommy, mommy!"

I look around to see if her mother is near and see nobody. I continue to keep my eye on her and was about to get up and take her to customer service when what appeared to be her mother walked up behind her. She wasn't frantic, she wasn't concerned and she seemed far more interested in finding the latest Jodi Picoult book then finding her lost 4 year old daughter.

Maybe I'm over reacting, or maybe it's because I am reading The Shack right now. I know how easy it is to lose a child, I've seen it happen several times in my stores during the past 5 years. They easily wander off and are easily distracted. Yet, that is even further a reason to keep a close eye on your children. There are just too many sickos out there that prey on these innocent children -- Maybe The Shack really is getting to me. What do you think?

3 comments:

Amber said...

I used to teach swimming lessons and I saw my share of neglectful parents that's for sure. There was the combination of the parents who'd do whatever their kids wanted (not putting them in the water) which does more harm than good. Then there were the parents that were total jerks and would let their kids wander off around the pool by themselves. Like how stupid, you're at a POOL! Yes, we're lifeguards and our job is to save your kid if they fall in but it shouldn't come to that. If you have a 2 year old child you should NOT let them wander around the edge of the pool by themselves! Some people are so ridiculous.

marisol said...

I truly adore kids and it saddens me when I see them being mistreated - physically & emotionally. Sometimes I wish I could interfere but it isn't my place. Well, I would probably say something if I saw someone hit their child.

Gosh... I hope I never see that.

Amber Dupree said...

Wow! I think I would have been 'not nice' to the parents.
I probably would have gotten fired from my job.

I have 3 kids and I can lose my cool sometimes but I would NEVER even think those thoughts!!