Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Review in Books

I cannot let 2013 end without talking about one of my favorite subjects... reading and books! Due to this year being such a big year for me and (mostly due to) spending so much time working on my first year of teaching, my reading time has been drastically reduced. Up until about September, I was going strong with my goal to read 75 books, but as I got busier and busier with my 28 new friends I was spending less and less time reading for myself.

However, I will not be disappointed with what I did read. I finished a total of 59 books and I am sure (ok, 99% positive) that is more than what most people read. ;)

In 2013 I read some really great books and even found some new favorites!

Here are a few that stick out:

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes  - ohhhh, this book. Read it if you're looking for a tearjerker that is very well written. It's also British and I just love the way they talk!

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness - one of my favorite books (maybe my most favorite!) This was an amazing blend of Twilight, Harry Potter and Fifty Shades but written so well!

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - ahhh, this was so good! I have recommended this to so many kids. Very unique and interesting story about a boy that grows up with ghosts in a graveyard.

Wonder by PJ Palacio - this book is THE IT book in elementary literature right now. This was my first ever read aloud and we finished off the book listening to the audio while the kids followed along on the document camera. Now that is the only way we do read alouds. The kids were so engaged and it has sparked so many great discussions.

Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight - I think we read this for book club and I loved it! Such a great mystery!

Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman - I had been anxiously awaiting something from Beth Hoffman since I devoured Saving CeCe Honeycutt a few years ago. This is did NOT disappoint. Such a great novel.

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult - Omg. Finally. Something from Jodi Picoult again that I just looooved. Her books were getting a little boring for me, but this knocked my socks off!

The End of Your Life Book by Will Schwalbe  - ohhhh, this book. Such a great book. A book about books is always okay in my opinion!

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blume - Oy, another WWII novel. This was simply amazing and I adored it. Read it.

My Year with Eleanor by Noelle Hancock - I remember thinking this was a great book to start 2013 with! Very inspiring!


Annnnd this list just happened to end up being 10 books! This is not a top 10 list and is not really in any specific order. (actually it's in reverse order from when I read them).  If I had to choose a favorite, I would probably go with A Discovery of Witches... I just started the second book in the trilogy and I am already feeling those feelings of need-to-savor-this-book! Third-book-doesn't-come-out-til-July! Take-your-time!

Yeah, I have problems. ;)

What is your favorite book that you read last year?

9 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

It's always fun to see what other people like to read and what they recommend! Aaaaand...59 books is a lot! I think I ended up reading about 30... boo! I also have Those Who Save us on my top 5 list that is set to post next week! That really was a great book!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I think it's impressive that you read 59 books considering how busy you have been! So well done! I have read most of these books and agree that they were great! I just picked up The Story Teller from the library so will start that when I finish DOW!

Julie said...

Did you make your Goodreads goal? I missed mine by two but that's ok, its a new year!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

59 books is VERY impressive- I probably read like 2 in my first year teaching ha ha, other than books about teaching that is, which I read a billion of.

I am so glad your students have a teacher like you who reads great children/young adult book and then can recommend it to them. Plus obviously you model loving reading too. So important!

All of the books you listed that I have read I also loved, so I'm going to add a few of the ones I haven't read to my list!

Beth Hoffman said...

What a wonderful surprise! I'm delighted and honored to see "Looking for Me" on your list. Thank you so much, Amber!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

My favorite book was The Almond Tree and I also LOVED Saving CeeCee Honeycutt! Finally got around to read that. It was my second to last book of the year ha.

Shoshanah said...

The only one of these books I've read is Those Who Save Us. It's been a few years since I read it, but it's definitely been one that's stayed with me.

And while I haven't read it yet, A Discovery of Witches has been on my to-read list for a while now, and hopefully 2014 will be the year I get to it.

As for my reading goal, I only barely made it. My goal was 70 books, and I didn't make it there till December 30 or so. But I definitely made it less for next year so it's not quite as stressful.

Amber said...

I also LOVED Me Before You and Those Who Save Us is on my list to read asap!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I haven't read any of those but I'm writing them done to get them!