I started my undergrad years over 10 years ago (oh, gawd) and in that time quite a bit has changed for a college student. Since I am a college student again now, I have been thinking about these changes and since I am a blogger, a post has been swirling around in my head...
Oh, c'mon, I'm not the only blogger that does this. I am constantly writing possible blog posts in my head. Aren't you?
Anyway, I digress.
When I think about these changes in life for a college student, I don't know how I got through my undergrad years (ok, not really serious here. But, it is weird to think about).
Here are the top 10 things that have changed in the past decade for a college student:
10. We had to walk 3 miles each way to class uphill in the snow. Just kidding. Just making sure I have your attention!
9. No Wikipedia. At least I didn't know about it if it did exist.
8. No Blackboard. ISU had something sort of similar, but nobody used it. At least they didn't b/w 2000-2004. If we wanted to know our grade, we emailed the prof... or... get this... we asked!
7. Flip phones were the coolest thing ever - remember Razrs?? Everyone wanted a pink Razr. (Well, girls did.) But, really any flip phone was all the rage.
6. Hardly anyone had laptops that they carried around. If someone used any kind of device to take notes in class, they were "weird." Oh, and the colored Macs? Super popular at this time. My roommate had an orange one.
5. No iPods or any other mp3 device. I don't remember what we used... maybe a discman? I guess that must be what we used if we wanted to listen to music on the walk to class.
4. No texting. It's true. I didn't start texting until about 2004, around the time I graduated.
3. We may not have texted, but we had a nifty little messenger system called... AIM. As in AOL Instant Messenger. AIM = todays texting (but, yes, you had to be in your dorm room/apartment to get the IM)
2. DVR was nowhere near existence. My friends and I scheduled our classes around the soap opera Passions. No, I'm not kidding. The soap Passions. It was all the rage and it was on everyday at 2pm...and we would not take a class at that time. Our priorities were totally in check...
1. Facebook was not around when I was in college. MySpace was just getting to be big the year I graduated in 2004.
Did I miss anything???
And, just because I can't go without posting a picture...
Here's us about ten years ago. Nope, I wasn't always blonde! ;)
And our shirts - are fake. There's no such thing as Gamma Gamma Gamma. We rebelled on the Greek system and made our own sorority. No joke.