Friday, February 18, 2011

The Opposite of Me

Synopsis from Barnes and Noble: Twenty-nine-year-old Lindsey Rose has, for as long as she can remember, lived in the shadow of her ravishingly beautiful fraternal twin sister, Alex. Determined to get noticed, Lindsey is finally on the cusp of being named VP creative director of an elite New York advertising agency, after years of eighty-plus-hour weeks, migraines, and profound loneliness. But during the course of one devastating night, Lindsey’s carefully constructed life implodes. Humiliated, she flees the glitter of Manhattan and retreats to the time warp of her parents’ Maryland home. As her sister plans her lavish wedding to her Prince Charming, Lindsey struggles to maintain her identity as the smart, responsible twin while she furtively tries to piece her career back together. But things get more complicated when a long-held family secret is unleashed that forces both sisters to reconsider who they are and who they are meant to be.

I've always been attracted to books about sisters and the bonds they have, especially sisters that are like night and day. My sister and I are exactly that. I am high strung and super organized and my sister is extremely laid back and cluttered. We haven't always gotten along, but in the past few years have gotten closer and closer and now we even live together. Our relationship is not the healthiest, we fight like cats and dogs, but I love her to death! Lindsey and Alex are similar to my sister and I in how different they are. This book hooked me right away with the setting based in New York City and following Lindsey at her high powered ad agency job, then to her hometown in Maryland where Alex still lives. Once she gets home she realizes that she's secretly falling for the guy in high school that she turned down... But, something (or someone) might be in her way. It kept right on going and I was able to finish this one faster than I've been finishing novels lately. (It's hard to read for leisure when you have that tiny voice in your head chanting you should be reading for class tomorrow, slacker!). I know this review doesn't let on too much about the book, but I don't want to spoil it! You're just gonna have to read it! ;)

I will definitely be picking up Sarah Pekkanen's second novel, Skipping a Beat when it comes out next week!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm intrigued :) I want to read it now!

Unknown said...

just came across your blog :) its so cute! as a future librarian this is the perfect blog for me to find new books to read and enjoy! cant wait to read them xoxo thanks so much for this!