Saturday, February 19, 2011

IMM (1)

The best part of spring for me is the occasional thunderstorm and the rainstorms. There's nothing better for a bibliophile then nothing to do on a rainy day but curl up with a good book and a glass of wine... Mmmm, heaven. :)

I had a great week for books so I thought what a great opportunity to start participating in The Story Siren's weekly meme In My Mailbox? I go to Kristi's blog every now and then when I have the urge to read YA, because if there's a good YA book out there, she's read it.

This week I had to head downtown a couple times for my Arts Integration class and while down there I figured I would pop into the main Des Moines Library. I am so, so embarrassed to admit this, but... I had never been there. This library is pretty new... they moved and expanded in 2006. How terrible that I had not stepped foot inside this library?! What makes it even worse is that I grew up in Des Moines proper and the DMPL libraries were the branches I borrowed from every week while growing up and before moving off to college. In my defense though, I graduated undergrad in 2004 and immediately moved away and didn't come back for good until 2008(ish) so I think if I was living in DSM when the new library opened I would have been there for it (I like to think so anyway).

Now that I live in the suburbs I visit two libraries near my apartment which are equally as awesome, although I have to admit the structure isn't near as gorgeous as this one... I may have to make the trek downtown more often though because I have re-fallen in love with the DMPL. :)

Isn't it gorgeous? It's nestled right in downtown Des Moines and is huge. I think I could spend hours there and am already making plans to spend some afternoons there studying. :)

Source
Here is a view of it at night, it looks so incredible at night because you can see right in and see all the shelves. It's pretty spectacular.

Anyway, on with the books!

Since I am going through a YA phase I headed to that section right away and picked up two books that I have had my eye on for quite a while now. I was actually pretty surprised they were available!

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

I have noticed this circulating on the YA network for quite awhile now and at first immediately blew it off to be too cheesy for me. Then I noticed some of my favorite bloggers that typically read the same material as me (such as Jessica) enjoying it so I thought I would give it a try.

It looks cute and totally like something I would have loved in high school.








and

The Book of Spells by Kate Brian

This book is a prequel to the Private series, which I devoured last fall and have been reading each new one as soon as I can get my hands on it. This series is the type of stuff I loved when I was in high school so it's kinda of nice to be able to revert back to that chapter of my life and just lose myself in this world that is so different from my own.

These books are also incredibly fast reads so it's nice to be able to plow through books like this right away... Books from my favorite author, Jodi Picoult can leave me reflecting and distracted in the middle of them for too long... :P




And then... drumroll, please...
Speaking of my favorite author...

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

Words can hardly express how excited I was to have won a copy of this book. It officially comes out March 1, so it's right around the corner, but I was ecstatic to have won a copy a little early so that I can get it read before the signing I am attending on March 11th in Minneapolis.
I got the book yesterday and am already a quarter of the way through it and am hoping to have time to finish it within the next few days. :)








Another book I picked up after seeing the documentary was...

Waiting for Superman, How can we save America's failing public schools?

The documentary made me cry like a baby and really hit home for me so buying this book wasn't an option for me. I wanted all of these facts in print. I think the film sensationalizes the issue a bit, but it's an issue that I think some (umm, many) people ignore. And, I say people and I mean citizens. It's great if you can afford private school or the public schools in your area are performing, but let's face it, most of them are not.

That is what's in my mailbox, what's in yours?

4 comments:

Shoshanah said...

So glad your participating this week! Although I have to warn you, it is a little addicting. I see so many books I want, and then because I want to post books each week for IMM, I keep buying them. Like I said, a little addictive but really fun!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Now I have more books to add to my read list!!!

Elle Sees said...

i grabbed a ton of books from goodwill...all sorts of random titles and genres.

P said...

I got To The Moon & Back by Jill Mansell, Spotlight by Ilana Fox and You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra Manning.

I really enjoyed the first four Private books, so I'd be quite interested to read the prequel.