Thursday, September 24, 2009

Penne and chardonnay....

Earlier today I was looking at my bank statement online and was shocked to see how many times I ate out in the past month. It was shocking! Too embarrassing to admit the total... So, trust me when I say it was ridiculous.

Today I went to the grocery store and stocked up on ingredients to make homemade dinners and easy to pack lunches.

Iowa Girl Eats is one of my favorite food bloggers and I bookmark many of her blog posts because they contain recipes I just have to try. One of these is Drunken Garden Pasta. I just can't resist a recipe that calls for penne noodles. I don't know why but I just like them more than any other noodle, they're just... better. This dish was no exception. It was so tasty and easy to prepare.

First I sauteed chopped garlic and onion...
Then I added spinach and tomatoes to the mix.

Meanwhile I was cooking my penne noodles.
Once those were done and while they were draining in the sink. I added a splash of chardonnay and a little bit of balsamic vinegar and olive oil to the pasta pan, just like she said. Then I heated it for about 20 seconds or so and added the pasta mixed with the sauteed goodness and a sprinkle of feta cheese.

And this is what I got...

Mmm, mmm good! I loved it! It was perfection with a glass of chardonnay! Such an easy meal to make that is healthy! Most of her recipes include healthy fruits and veggies so I always feel good when I make them. They also always seem to include common ingredients that are already in my cupboards! Makes things that much easier.

I'm glad I tried this one and will definitely make it again. Next thing I'm going to try is her Enchilada Pizza. Sounds tasty!



11 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I know what you mean. I realized that too and tons of money goes out the widow that way. So all this week I've been trying to eat at home.

Shoshanah said...

I think topping anything with feta makes it pretty much perfect!

Anonymous said...

look yuuuummmmmyyyy!!! Hope you have the best weekend ever!

Ian & Jess said...

That looks pretty good. I am ashamed to admit I do the same thing. Send some recipes my way if you can think of any good ones :)

Leigh Hutchens Burch said...

An Amber who cooks?! I didn't know those existed! The dish looks super yummy. I'm enjoying your blog!

Leigh Hutchens Burch said...

An Amber who cooks?! I didn't know those existed! The dish looks super yummy. I'm enjoying your blog!

saucyminx410 said...

One time my fiance and I sat down and tallied up all the times we ate out for a month. Between the two of us we spent over $700!!! Granted part of that was the two weeks in the summer sans air conditioning but nevertheless. We've definitely started cooking at home more! By the way- I'm Amber too...cute blog - I started following tonight!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Love fresh garlic!! I just started following you too!

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats said...

Oh, I'm so glad you liked the dish!! :D

I used to eat out all the time and it was just sickening to have to sit down and tally everything up. SICKENING I tell you!! Cooking at home is SO much better for the wallet, and waistline!

Sam said...

I eat out way too much. I'm always at school and work (which is at school) so I'm always walking downtown to eat during my breaks. It's unfortunate since home cooked meals always taste ten times better and are ten times healthier! That's one of my resolutions I'm making for myself, to start cooking at home and bringing my lunches! I've decided I don't need to wait until the new year, I'm going to start my resolutions now :)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

yum that sounds good.. i may need to make that.. i wonder how pinot grigo instead of chardonannay would be.. since that is what i currently have haha..