I have exactly three days of student teaching left and I will receive my Master's degree on the 19th. It is all so surreal! I am so grateful that I have had this opportunity, but I will save that kind of gushing for another day.
Yesterday I went on a massive book holding spree at the three public libraries I frequent (don't judge me) and today on Twitter, Lisa suggested I blog about what books I am looking forward to reading over the next few months. I thought that was a great idea and I found myself with some extra time today (a rarity), so, here I am!
Now, I must admit, I am extremely lucky with the public libraries in Des Moines. Between DSM and West DSM (two separate cities right next to each other) there are lots of different libraries I can use. So, I do.
I pretty much have them figured out and I stalk Amazon author pages to figure out release dates and I put all the books on hold. Works like a charm (and saves me a ton of dough. I'm a poor college student. Soon to be a poor teacher). If I catch them in time, I'm usually pretty close to being one of the first people to check out the book. Takes organization, but it's worth it for me.
So, without further ado.. here is what I have on hold currently:
Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
- I've loved Lauren Graham since Gilmore Girls, and I adore Parenthood, so of course I want to read her book!
- Ahhh! I have been waiting for something from this author for YEARS now! American Wife is my FAVORITE book and I really liked Prep, so I cannot wait to get this one when it comes out this summer.
- I am a big fan of the Book Page publication that I pick up at my local library (one of them, ha) and I get lots of great recommendations from it. In this month's issue there is an ad for this book and I was immediately drawn to it. I loved books about books, so this is right up my alley. I believe it is already out, I'm just waiting for it at the library.
- Sarah hooked me with her first novel, The Opposite of Me a few years ago and I will read anything she produces! Her books are great summer reads!
- This is a no-brainer. Amanda, I want to hear what you have to say!
- I really really liked Still Missing, and I liked Never Knowing. I'll probably always pick up Chevy's books as well. They're great mysteries that keep you turning the pages!
- I haven't even read the Sparks' release last year. In fact, I bought it and it has been sitting on my desk since then. Oops. I still reserved this one though. It does not come out until September, so perhaps I will get to the 2012 release this summer.
- I've read a few of Elin's books and have loved each of them. These are perfect for the summer because they're always based on Nantucket or Cape Cod. Each of her books make me itch to visit one (or both!) of those places!
- I think I have outgrown Sophie Kinsella, but I just can't give her up completely. I didn't really care for her book last year, but maybe this one will be better. I didn't get it reserved early enough at the library to get a copy soon, so I think it'll be awhile before I get my hands on this.
- Another author that I have been anxiously waiting for to release something new! I adored Saving CeCe Honeycutt and cannot wait to read her newest book!
- I'm not going to set the bar too high... but, I MUST pick this up! I loved The Devil Wears Prada and I was a big fan of Last Night at Chateau Marmont. Can't wait to see what the characters of TDWP are up to these days.
- I have heard this is a total cheesefest, but I do not care. The title and the cover sucked me in. I'm a sucker for cheesy YA romances!
I'm still looking for a teaching job. And trying to be patient.
The patience is waning.
I know that many other people across the country have been looking for much longer than me, so I am for sure keeping that in perspective, but I am so nervous that I won't have a job. Luckily, I can always sub, but I am just ready to move on to more responsibility.
Anyway. That is all boring talk. I'll be sure to clue you all in when I get a job offer! :)
To conclude this somewhat random conclusion (lol) tell me, what are you looking forward to reading? What are you reading now?
Hope you're doing well!