Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Looking Forward: Books Edition

Hi! It has been ages. I know. March 25th, to be exact. Crazy times. I'll be back though, don't you worry.

I have exactly three days of student teaching left and I will receive my Master's degree on the 19th. It is all so surreal! I am so grateful that I have had this opportunity, but I will save that kind of gushing for another day.

Yesterday I went on a massive book holding spree at the three public libraries I frequent (don't judge me) and today on Twitter, Lisa suggested I blog about what books I am looking forward to reading over the next few months. I thought that was a great idea and I found myself with some extra time today (a rarity), so, here I am!

Now, I must admit, I am extremely lucky with the public libraries in Des Moines. Between DSM and West DSM (two separate cities right next to each other) there are lots of different libraries I can use. So, I do.
I pretty much have them figured out and I stalk Amazon author pages to figure out release dates and I put all the books on hold. Works like a charm (and saves me a ton of dough. I'm a poor college student. Soon to be a poor teacher).  If I catch them in time, I'm usually pretty close to being one of the first people to check out the book. Takes organization, but it's worth it for me.

So, without further ado.. here is what I have on hold currently:

1. Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
  •  I've loved Lauren Graham since Gilmore Girls, and I adore Parenthood, so of course I want to read her book!
2. Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld
  • Ahhh! I have been waiting for something from this author for YEARS now! American Wife is my FAVORITE book and I really liked Prep, so I cannot wait to get this one when it comes out this summer.
3. World's Strongest Librarian: A Memoir of Tourette's, Faith, Strength and the Power of Family by Josh Harnagarne
  • I am a big fan of the Book Page publication that I pick up at my local library (one of them, ha) and I get lots of great recommendations from it. In this month's issue there is an ad for this book and I was immediately drawn to it. I loved books about books, so this is right up my alley. I believe it is already out, I'm just waiting for it at the library. 
4. The Best of Us by Sarah Pekkanen
  • Sarah hooked me with her first novel, The Opposite of Me a few years ago and I will read anything she produces! Her books are great summer reads!
5. Waiting To Be Heard by Amanda Knox
  • This is a no-brainer. Amanda, I want to hear what you have to say!
6. Always Watching by Chevy Stevens
  • I really really liked Still Missing, and I liked Never Knowing. I'll probably always pick up Chevy's books as well. They're great mysteries that keep you turning the pages!
7. The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
  • I haven't even read the Sparks' release last year. In fact, I bought it and it has been sitting on my desk since then. Oops. I still reserved this one though. It does not come out until September, so perhaps I will get to the 2012 release this summer. 
8. Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand
  • I've read a few of Elin's books and have loved each of them. These are perfect for the summer because they're always based on Nantucket or Cape Cod. Each of her books make me itch to visit one (or both!) of those places!
9. Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella
  • I think I have outgrown Sophie Kinsella, but I just can't give her up completely. I didn't really care for her book last year, but maybe this one will be better. I didn't get it reserved early enough at the library to get a copy soon, so I think it'll be awhile before I get my hands on this. 
10. Looking For Me by Beth Hoffman
  • Another author that I have been anxiously waiting for to release something new! I adored Saving CeCe Honeycutt and cannot wait to read her newest book! 
11. Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns by Lauren Weisberger
12. This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
  • I have heard this is a total cheesefest, but I do not care. The title and the cover sucked me in. I'm a sucker for cheesy YA romances!
This should keep me busy this summer!! I am not completely sure what I am doing this summer (besides reading, ha!). I might be nannying. I might be just working at the agency (God, help me). It's kind of up in the air.

I'm still looking for a teaching job. And trying to be patient.

The patience is waning.

I know that many other people across the country have been looking for much longer than me, so I am for sure keeping that in perspective, but I am so nervous that I won't have a job. Luckily, I can always sub, but I am just ready to move on to more responsibility.

Anyway. That is all boring talk. I'll be sure to clue you all in when I get a job offer! :)

To conclude this somewhat random conclusion (lol) tell me, what are you looking forward to reading? What are you reading now?

Hope you're doing well!

10 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

#1- Come visit me at the Cape :)

#2- I hope you get a teaching job! Sending good vibes your way!

#3- I have at least half of these books on request too. Also a poor teacher, and I've been known to be the FIRST person from the library to get a book. Haha... crazy? yes. I won't be for any of these, but I'm #12 on some lists haha. I'll take that.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yea! You are back! I have really missed your posts so look forward to your return.

You can always come visit me - we can make it an inexpensive trip and do all local stuff (ahem, i guess that would force me to find things to do locally). :)

I hope you find a job soon! That will be a huge relief for you!! Fingers crossed something comes through soon!

Lastly, thanks for highlighting all these books! I am bookmarking this so I can come back and request these once I have a library card!

Lesli said...

yay - you are back--so far, I am not!! Don't forget to invite me on Facebook to the next Books & Bars--I know I have been horrible about attending! I did invite you to my Chick Lit & Cocktails in St. Paul--that is tonight! :-) But see you in a few weeks for Jane Porter's author dinner--oh, and please send me invite to Books & Bars --thanks! xoxo

Becky said...

Holy mother of books, Batman! I will tell you I tried a sample on my kindle of Lauren Graham's book and if you liked her in Gilmore Girls I think you will love it. It was very rambling and while I LOVE Gilmore Girls, her rambling in Parenthood (and always playing the victim) made me crazy so I don't think I could do a whole book of that. Let me know what you think!

Shoshanah said...

I had no idea Curtis Sittenfeld had a new book coming out! Well definitely have to look into this. As for the others I've been wanting to read both Someday, Someday, Maybe and Wedding Night. But still have yet to pick up Sohpie Kinsella last books. So many books though, and just not enough time. Ha!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Welcome back and good luck with the job search! I actually haven't read any of those books, so I can't wait to hear how you like them!

P said...

I forgot Sophie Kinsella had a book out I haven't read yet - I must read it. I notice you say you've outgrown her a bit... I know what you mean in a way although I loved her last book. I've outgrown the Shopaholic books though; think Becky Bloomwood is played out.

I'm currently reading a book on my Kindle that a blogger friend that I also now know in real life wrote - Kept by Elle Field. I've been following her progress regarding her writing for years so it's amazing to actually be reading her official book finally!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I won Lauren Graham's book on a blog and I am sooo excited to read it!

Anne said...

Any school would be LUCKY to have you! Hang in there friend. When it's right...it'll all fall into place. I'm rootin' for ya!

Victoria said...

a new chevy stvens book>! yes please! man she freaks me out yet they are so good :)

i read lauren graham's book and really liked it,it has be laughing out loud.

and i read sarah pekkanen's as well and thought it was decent enough.

i have sophie's newest one on hold at my library too :)