Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Elise's Birth Story Part 1

First comes love.

Then comes marriage.

Then comes .... BABY, in a baby carriage!

Yep, it's been awhile, blog. However, the people reading this blog pretty much know me IRL now and those that do not "know" me "IRL" probably sort of feel like they do because of Facebook and Instagram. Social media is so fun, no!?

"Blogging Elise's birth story" has been on my "Maternity To-Do List" since we got home and since today is her one month birthday (omg. How?) I thought it was a perfect day to sit down and pound it out. Speaking of which, I really miss blogging. Or, more specifically, I miss writing in the form of a pseudo journal that documents my life. Now that I am in charge of another life I feel an even stronger pull towards this space. I do not want to forget anything, so maybe you will be seeing more of me us here.

Ok. Birth story time. Settle in. Because, I did. At the hospital. For 6 days.

It was week 36 of my pregnancy and I was officially visiting the doctor's office once a week. Usually my appointments were at 4:15pm but this week I couldn't get an afternoon appointment so I was in there at 7:30am on Tuesday morning. I was stressing because I had an 8:15am meeting at work and I was refusing to miss it (ugh, perspective. Now I see it). 

At this appointment my ankles were HUGE and UNRECOGNIZABLE and it was the first time the nurse/doctor stressed over a high blood pressure reading. The doctor said the past few weeks it had been creeping up. I figured I would be told to drink more water, sit down more to rest (haha, I'm a teacher) and watch my BP.

I was wrong.

The doctor came back in and said she wanted to see me again on Thursday and if my BP was still high we would be delivering this week. I'm pretty sure I just stared at her in complete shock. I was convinced that I would go way past 40 weeks. It was January 5th and I did not think Baby would make her debut until February. So, I made my appointment for later that week (which I was stressing about because ... work! How? My schedule was impossible) and I texted my husband. His response was unlike his usually cool, calm, Mr.-I-Never-Freak-Out demeanor. He texted back "for real??" and that's when I began to cry. He calmed me down though and I quickly switched gears into work mode.

I made it into work and through that meeting without tearing up, until our instructional coach (who is close to my age and has two children) noticed something was up with me because I was on the verge of tears. Which did come. Two minutes before kids started walking into my room. Fun times!

Moving on.

The next day (Wednesday, for those of you keeping up) I made it through the day, but the swelling was out of control. The school nurse (who is a former NICU nurse and is ahhhhmazing) checked my blood pressure and promptly sent me to the hospital because it was high. I want to say it was 170 something over 100 something. High. Not good. We went into the hospital and sat in triage for awhile with me on my left side. My BP went down to normal levels, baby was doing fine, and we were sent home.

I went to work the next day (Thursday) a little unsure if I should be there and with a feeling of doom. The best possible doom though? It was a feeling that I might not be back the next day and I need to get everything finalized for my sub(s). Turns out, I was right. I wasn't coming back for awhile!

We ended up checking into the hospital that evening. We were having a baby! I had had since Tuesday to mentally prepare for delivering early and I felt ready! Sort of. Thursday the doctor checked my BP and basically said to go home, pack your bags and head into the hospital.

Ok, then! We went home, I showered, double checked my bags, ate some lunch and we went into the hospital a family of two.

I was honestly so prepared to go over 40 weeks, I did not considering being induced at all. Therefore I did not do much research on it and now that it's all said and done, I wish I had. More on that later. Probably for another post.

Thursday evening when I finally got into a room (the maternity floor was paaaaacked and we were in triage for almost 6 hours) they decided to give me Cervadil to get things going. The Cervadil did its job overnight, but I did not start dilating or having strong enough contractions for me to feel them. I will not go into detail about the Cervadil, but I hated it.

Now it is Friday and I am supposedly in labor. Sort of. I wasn't feeling a darn thing! The contractions were too small and I was not dilated at all. Late Friday evening they decided to give me something else that would basically do the same thing as Cervadil. I can't remember what it was called, Cytotec maybe? Well, it worked. At 5:15am on Saturday, my water broke. I had called the nurse begging to get out of bed to go to the bathroom because the urge to pee hurt so bad. When I stood up I "peed my pants" and when I called the nurse back to tell her I "peed my pants" she laughed and said no, that my water probably broke. She was right. Weirdest feeling ever!

From that point is when I felt officially "in labor" and my contractions began to get stronger and much more painful. I had sent Bill home to get some sleep at home so he wasn't there when things started to get worse, but I felt like I could handle it. I was sure that I was dilated pretty high and I was dying to know, but I hated it when they checked. When they did finally check I was in shock when she said I was dilated to 2cm.

TWO? What? No. Check again. Wait, don't check. It's super uncomfortable.

When I was dilated to a little over 3cm I asked for the epidural, I think this was about 10am. I'm not completely sure though. I wanted to wait it out a little longer, but I just couldn't. My contractions were about every 5 minutes and were 30 seconds long. My coping mechanism was to count, which is interesting because I do the same thing when running and I always compared pregnancy and labor to long-distance running. Makes sense that I would cope the same way! I would tell myself during contractions (and running) that anyone can do anything for 30 seconds (when running it's one minute, 30 seconds, whatever I'm doing whether it be sprints, pacing, etc.).

The anesthesiologist got there a lot faster than I expected (that or I have lost track of time, which is very likely!) and this is the first moment I felt really, really scared. I was so worried I would accidentally see the needle so I basically did not take my eyes off of Bill. Him and the nurses were so wonderful. I feel so lucky to have had such a wonderful support team! They ended up having to administer the epidural twice because the first time I didn't feel any different. It wasn't in right. Luckily, the pain of the contractions was so much worse than administering the epidural, I didn't care. I just wanted it in right. The hardest part about the epidural was staying still. Once it was in and in the right way, I felt amazing. I couldn't feel a thing. Being checked for how far along I was and anything else they had to do was a breeze from this point on.

Around this time the contractions got stronger and I could feel them still, but they weren't near as painful. This was great, but what wasn't so great was Baby's heart rate. Every time I contracted her heart rate would go really low and stay low for awhile. A few times her heart rate would go down into the 50s and everyone worried. Several times our room would fill with nurses and at one time they put me on my stomach (rear in the air, now thaaat was uncomfortable) and hooked up to oxygen. Nothing really helped. Her heart rate would still drop when I contracted. They took me off the Pitocin to give baby a break and my labor stalled. Her heart rate got better, but I wasn't contracting or progressing in labor now.

This point was a roller coaster. They had mentioned the possibility of a c-section, but we hadn't discussed it since Friday, which felt like ages ago even though it was only the day before. My head was mentally prepared for pushing, I was not mentally prepared for surgery.

They decided to put me back on the Pitocin and I went right back into contractions. Baby went right back to struggling through the contractions. We talked to her, read to her, rubbed my belly where I knew she was and all of these things seemed to help, but she was still struggling.

At 3pm, the doctor finally said she didn't like the dips in her heart rate and how the rate would stay low. They were worried she couldn't handle my pushing. This scared me. If she couldn't handle contractions how was she going to handle the trauma of being pushed out of the birth canal?! At this point, I would do whatever was best for her.

The doctor said a c-section was probably the best option. Bill and I just looked at each other and immediately agreed. Fine. A c-section it is. I remember looking at the clock at this time and thinking, "I'm going to have a baby by 4pm."

A baby by 4pm, we did! Elise Frances Kuehler was born at 3:31 via a c-section. The surgery went well and by 4pm we were actually back in our room ... with a baby. How crazy is that?!


In part 2 I will recap my thoughts on the c-section and let you know how we have been doing the first 4 weeks at home! 


Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Yay, so glad you decided to post! Though I have to admit your post brought back so many memories of my pregnancy. I also expected to be late and was shocked to have a baby at 36 weeks. I remember how focused I was on work, and that was the first of many times I have a had to learn that my baby comes first, ha ha- still learning that actually!

Elise is SO adorable and I'm so glad she is here and has been here for a month! Can't wait to read Part 2!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am glad you are going to try to find time to blog as I miss reading your posts! And I really enjoyed Kelly's monthly posts about what Max was loving and hating so at a minimum you could try to do a post/month plus whatever else you manage to fit in!

I am so glad that Elise made it here safe and sound. You had such a long and drawn out labor! But she was clearly worth the wait in the end. :)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Aww. I love reading birth stories. Glad she got here safely!

P said...

Congratulations!!! (and go you for being such a trooper through it all!). xx

Amber said...

Holy smokes that does sound so so stressful! Especially when you had it in your head/schedule she would come at a certain time and had work coverage organized for that time. I'm so glad she did eventually make it here safe and sound and you are loving being a mom!

Becky said...

OMG when we were texting while you were in labor I was SO upset that you had such a long drawn out process but I was trying to be so calm for you - you can do it! you can do it!

SO glad Elise got here safe and sound and love reading her birth story - can't wait for more!

Shoshanah said...

First of all Congrats! I was so excited to see you finally get your birth story up.

I remember the same feeling of not being able to keep track of time while in labor. There was a clock in my room and I'd notice the them, then look back what felt like a minute later and realize and hour had gone by. So crazy!

Isn't it crazy how quickly time goes by now. I can barely below how fast this past year has gone by. So, so crazy.

And yes, echoing everyone else, I hope to see you blogging more! Although I know how much harder it is to find time to do anything with a tiny human around.