Oh, heeeey! I'm alive! I have been MIA since ... well, lets not even look, because it's been a LONG time.
Buckle your seatbelt because this Five on Friday is going to be jam packed, but how else do I get everything in if it's not a good ol' fashioned list, eh?
1. My fiance and I have been co-habitating for two weeks now. We're living in his friends house in the lovely Beaverdale area of Des Moines (conveniently one of my favorite neighborhoods!) annnnd, we just made an offer on a house and they ACCEPTED! If the inspection on Monday goes well and everything else goes well, we will likely close on April 14th and be in the house by early May. I AM SO EXCITED! Right now I am feeling so cramped with half of my stuff is in the garage and sharing a bathroom the size of a closet. Living together has been wonderful though. I am still getting used to it and sometimes, especially when Bill asks me when I'll be home, I don't think it has completely sunk in.
2. Spring Break 2014 has officially started! I need this SO BAD. After winter break, I was feeling good. January was fine, I was keeping up with EVERYTHING. Then, February happened and I got my ass kicked. The first half of March, all I could think was, "I. NEED. A. BREAK." So, visions of spring break clouded my head and I was just trying to stay afloat until then. Then, last Friday happened.
Let me explain.
My district has to cut six million dollars in the next two years. Six. Million. Dollars. We knew this was coming and I always worried, but so many people said not to worry, we are a no-bump district and I should be fine.
Then, they decided to close an entire school. Yes, the school is rather small, but still ... Where would all those workers go? They have to be placed somewhere. Then I began to really worry. Others said not to, it would be fine.
Then, last Friday, we had a meeting at the end of the day and our principal (who is an interim principal that came out of retirement to work with us for a year and is WONDERFUL) gathered us together for a meeting to tell us what the administration was presenting to the board. It was ... shocking. We knew the small school would close, as that would save over one million dollars, but the cuts they proposed to the special education department was infuriating.
Anyway, long story short, we attended that board meeting, said our peace and made them see the light. Things have worked out in our favor. It looks like I should be able to keep my job due to new positions we are opening for instructional coaches (with a grant) and all the people retiring (due to a more attractive retirement package).
Hallelujah! I can take "find a new job" off my already insane list for things I need to do in 2014.
3. Working out 7 days a week is still going strong! Sometimes I do skip running or going to the gym for a "rest" day, but I always get in 10,000 steps, so I am still meeting my Pact. Yesterday I ran outside for the first time since November, and ... it kinda sucked. I'm not in running shape right now. The treadmill has hurt me. I know I am in cardiovascular shape, so I'm not too worried. It will come back, but yesterday's run outside was not a confidence booster! Doesn't help that I am running in a new area, I suppose. (excuses, excuses)
I also recently re-committed myself to See-Us Run Des Moines for another year, which is a student-mentor running group in Des Moines for the IMT Des Moines Marathon. I participated last year and loved it! I will likely do the half again, as I do not think a full marathon is ever in my future.
4. Wedding planning is going ... okay. We still have a lot of BIG things to do. Like book an officiant and photographer. Luckily I have leads on both and I hope they work out for us! I am taking my dress to the tailor today. The bridesmaids have bought their dresses. The men know what they are wearing. We have secured tables and chairs and have food and booze figured out. During spring break I hope to get my save the dates out in the mail and get invitations ordered! Sometimes I feel like such a slacker, but honestly, when do I do this stuff?? This year is going to kill me! I am frequently reminding myself that this is fun, and I need to enjoy it. That usually does the trick, because it IS fun!
5. Why did I jam so much into 1-4? I cannot think of a 5. This will have to be Four on Friday. :)
Have a wonderful weekend! Thanks for reading!