Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's that time of year again...

...the end of summer and school is starting again. Every year I'm a little envious of those high school seniors now college freshman embarking on this new adventure called college.

This year several of my employees are going off to college for the first time. One member of my management staff is going to be a sophomore at my alma mater and is also in a sorority just like I was. It's hard for me not to feel jealous.

I loved college.

Absolutely, positively the best time of my life so far. I would give anything to go back to college and a lot of my friends and family think I'm crazy. Clearly, I think they're the crazy ones. I loved being on my own, but sheltered by the bubble of campus living. I loved the randomness of a busy college student's schedule. I loved being surrounded by people my age, all the time.

I didn't even mind the parking tickets after trying to get away with parking on campus or the all nighters we pulled because we had a test in almost every class in the same week.

I loved wearing flip flops in the shower and the small living quarters. I liked spending $600 a semester on text books. Ok, maybe I'm lying, I didn't like buying the textbooks. What I really liked was the cute hoodies or the little trinkets I ended up buying with my textbooks at the campus book store.

At this time 8 years ago I was starting college for the first time. I was a bundle of nerves, but I was extremely excited. That year ended up changing my life and has had a major part of who I am today. The people I met that year ended up being some of my closest friends throughout college and are still my closest friends today.

I've loved watching my employees (who I now count as friends) get ready to move away from home for the first time. I've loved answering their questions and giving them advice. It's been amazing to recall many of my favorite memories for these girls.

I truly hope they have a life changing year like I did. While they're at it, I will be living vicariously through them. :)

5 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I also am jealous of the young kiddos going off to college. Ok, I prob shouldn't call them kiddos since they are only 10 years younger than me. ;)

I miss the simplicity of college. I miss living in the sorority house. I love my life now, but definitely pine for those fun college days!

Amber said...

Entering my senior year I have to admit I'm kind of anxious for it to be over!

I suppose I should ENJOY it because before I know it, it will be over, and then I'll miss it like crazy!!

Shoshanah said...

I would easily go back and relive college. Its crazy to think that I've almost been out of college for as long as I was in college. It still feels like yesterday

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I agree. I loved college. Those were some of the best times in my life. I love going to alumni events because it gives me a good reason to go back lol

CIP said...

I still have a year to go, but I so agree with you. I'm dreading this year simply because it's my last and I don't ever want to leave. I'm already jealous of freshmen, because they have so much more time than me!