Sunday, December 1, 2013

December Intentions

After reading Kelly's Music, Books, Looks and Miles recap for November, I got a little inspired to set some intentions for myself in December. Kelly really inspires me, because she is a teacher that does a great job at setting aside time for her own personal hobbies such as reading and working out. Teaching does not consume her like it does so many people. I am trying very hard not to be one of those people.

Granted, this is my first year of teaching and everyone says the first year is the hardest and, as far as I can tell, that is definitely true. Not only am I learning a new job, new colleagues and a new setting, but I am also learning content before I teach it. You're probably thinking, "you teach fourth grade, what do you mean you're learning content?!" I mean, yes, I am learning academic content. Especially in the areas of science, social studies and math. Tomorrow we begin a unit on Russia. So, what do you think I did all Thanksgiving break? If you said, "studied Russia," than you would be right... So far this year I have also taught a unit on mystery powders (kids study the reactions of 6 different powders when exposed to water, heat, vinegar, bromethymal blue (btb) and iodine), and a unit on the glaciers of the Ice Age in the Midwest. And math? Let's not get started. Math is taught differently these days. No wonder parents are so flipping confused when kids bring home their homework! I really need to stop myself from thinking about how "great next year will be" because I will have taught all of this stuff once before.

So, anyway, I'll stop cause I could just keep going!

I wanted to set some intentions for the next three weeks until winter break. I know the three weeks are going to fly by, but I want to get better at taking care of myself while also in my first year of teaching. Overall, I think I am doing a great job, but I know I can do better. I am nowhere near a nervous breakdown, as I have heard some teachers say about their first year of teaching, but I am letting it consume me some days.

Here is where I would like to improve.

Books: My reading time has been reduced significantly and that is probably not going to change much, but I want to finish 5 books in the month of December. Yep, FIVE. Sounds a little crazy, but with 11 days in a row off of work just in the month of December, I should be able to knock some books off my TBR shelf.

Blogging: I really miss blogging. Many of my friends that I have made through blogging I keep in touch with other ways, such as texting, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, but there are a few people that I haven't talked with very much and I miss the daily contact!

Looks: Create 5 new looks from items currently in my wardrobe and document them. I am trying to take pictures of my daily outfits so that when I claim I "have nothing to wear" I can look through that photo album and hopefully be inspired.

Miles: My running motivation is pretty non-existent right now. I ran on Thanksgiving day when I woke up randomly with the itch to run, but other than that I hardly ran at all in November. I would like to change that and run at least 30 miles in December. Doesn't seem like much, and I debated about setting it at 50 miles, but I don't want to set myself up for failure. I would also like to make it to a yoga class 5 times this month and strength train 5 times (once a week).

Wedding: Set a date.

What are you goals for December?

11 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Wow thanks- I had to read that aloud to Eric because it is such a compliment :) I would like to say that this is what I have always been like but if you knew me MY first year teaching... I was 22... and DEFINITELY did not have balance. ALL I did was plan, teach and worry about teaching. I stressed so much that I gave myself stomach problems that I still deal with (to a much lesser extent) today. I think doing that first year SO badly helped me to see the importance of NOT doing that in the future. It really did get SO much better in year #2, and on year #8 I actually do feel like I mostly have balance in my life. It's an ongoing effort though and seems to be easier some years more so than others!

On an unrelated note, I just read a book you should read called "Under the Blood Red Sun"- its a young adult book about Hawaii in WWII.

I can't wait to hear about your wedding plans! :)

Denise said...

I so completely identify with you on making time for life outside of teaching! I am in my 8th year of teaching, and this is really the first year that I have set hard boundaries about what I will take home to work on and what I won't. I just can't let teaching be everything anymore! Good luck to you in your quest!

Julie said...

According to Goodreads I have to read 10 by the 31st to make my goal so that's what I'll be doing (and here I thought I was doing good, ha).

I'm also needing to do the workout more. When I work back to back jobs its just hard and then I need time at home. I'll get it one day.

Any ideas with a wedding date? That was hard for us to pick to, esp with working around school calendars. Since Keith is admin with technology he had to be there earlier than norm for setups so we ended up picking July 29 (Friday) and went on a mini-moon Sat thru Tues then back to work with real honeymoon to Disney that following March for Spring Break. It was a good spreading out!

Amber said...

Great idea to set aside time for yourself! It's so important. My work gets very very busy from September - November with lots of weekend and evening event commitments and lots of overtime and I definitely have to remember to take care of myself or I burn out quickly. I think those are all great goals for the month of November -- I fully support blogging more as I miss your posts. And you! :)

Becky said...

I like how you threw in set a wedding date like "oh you know, no big deal!" Ha!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I really want to finish a few more books this year and get on the treadmill a bit more. Good luck!

Shoshanah said...

Don't hate me for saying this, but I actually think it's really interesting the way they're teaching math now. My husband and I have actually had a few talks about it (we met in a math class after all), but the goal is to have kids logically thinking through answer instead of just memorizing numbers. And can I say how "cool" I thought the double digit multiple photo you posted the other day was. :)

Stephany said...

Taking time for yourself is so important! I'm glad you're seeing the value in that. :) I get stressed out when I don't have my own time to just BE.

I like your goals for December! Very manageable it seems, especially with winter break, so you can knock them all out. :)

Carolina John said...

I'm trying to just get everything out there this month! It's actually going to mean blogging twice a day sometimes. that's just crazy.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Kelly is definitely a great role model in this area as she works so darn hard, but plays hard. I hope that after this first year it's easier to find balance because that is so important! But I can see why this year is so overwhelming as you are laying the ground work for future years!

Good luck with your intentions for December! I hope you find time for it all - and some time to relax too as you have earned that!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Come back to blogging!!!! I miss seeing you on here!