Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Books 'n Bars v15

Fifteen months later and Books 'n Bars is still going strong!

For July we chose to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and we met at a new bar and restaurant called Louie's Wine Dive. I was really pleased with this month's turnout and despite several last minute cancellations, we had 11 people in attendance.

One of my favorite parts of book club is meeting new people as well as bringing people together. I have met several friends of friends of friends that I have truly enjoyed getting to know and chatting about books and life with!




Starting in August I have decided to change things up and choose the books a little differently. Instead of throwing several book suggestions out and then voting on one, we are going to take turns choosing a book. So, yesterday I assigned everyone that was interested in suggesting a title a number. Using random.org a number was drawn and that person chose the book. It worked out really well, and I can't wait to see if this method continues to work.




For August we are reading The History of Love by Nicole Krauss and the bar or restaurant is TBD. We're thinking Django downtown though (we all agreed a place with good food is a must. Food > alcohol. Ha.)

I am so excited this is still going strong and I truly look forward to meeting with everyone each month! Cannot wait for our August meeting.

If you are local, we are meeting on Wednesday, August 29th at 6pm. Here is the link for the event.

5 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am glad your book club is still going strong. I can't wait to read Perks. I need to buy it sometime soon!

I hope you all like the August book. It gets great reviews by others, but for some reason I rated it very low on goodreads... I can't remember why I didn't like it and back then I did not write reviews. I wish I had so I could remember what I didn't like about it!

Carolina John said...

That looks like a lot of fun!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

i keep debating on whether or not i want to read that book. the last two months we've had around 5-6 at our meetings and this month we were trying to recruit more. i like getting out, meeting people and drinkssssss. oh yea and books.

Taylor @ Pink Heels Pink Truck said...

I wish I lived closer just so I could attend this fun club! :)

Tiffany @ Austin Family Diary said...

I'm going to read Perks soon too! Hopefully before the movie comes out :)