Saturday, September 24, 2011

S & S Stacks v4 - Anna and the French Kiss review

Earlier this year when I first saw Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins circulating around the book blogs, I thought, "Wow, that book looks super cheesy. Are all of these bloggers getting paid to gush about this book?"

Seriously. I thought that! I figured it was completely overrated and publishers were pushing bloggers to push it.

Now, I get it. This book was adorable. Completely, utterly adorable. I fell in love with Anna almost immediately.

Stephanie Perkins nailed these characters and developed them just right. The anticipation that she wrote into the story was almost too much to bear! In a good way!

I completely identified with Anna and actually wished I was more like her. She was totally herself, and such an individual at such a young age without being too far out there. I loved that she didn't try to be something she wasn't, she accepted her own quirks. She was selfless and put the happiness of others before hers, even if that did keep her from falling in love for the first time (well, for awhile at least!). I loved that although she was falling hard for St. Clair, she held back because he was going through a lot with his mom. On the other hand, that is what made it so anxiety-inducing! I wanted to reach through the book and shake them both and make them kiss already!

I cannot write this review without mentioning another important character. Paris, the most romantic city in the world... supposedly. I have never been sold on Paris... I don't know what it is. Although I haven't been there, I just didn't think it sounded that great! Now that I am getting closer with Lisa and when I read books like this... I'm thinking I need to give the City of Lights a chance!

Anna wasn't sold on Paris either. She wanted to go back home to Atlanta and hated Paris when she first got there. In fact, she didn't even leave campus for quite a while! Luckily, she did and the descriptions of the city really nailed the spot for a skeptic like me. Now, it's definitely on my bucket list of places to visit.

If you're a fan of YA and you like some romance with a dash of boys with English accents (yep, St. Clair is English!) then you're gonna love this! Definitely worth checking it!

Do you stay away from YA or is it a genre you enjoy?

4 comments:

Stephany said...

I've seen this book circulating around, too, and I thought the exact same things, ha. The book looks really cute, though, definitely something I would like to read.

I've just recently starting reading YA again. (Obviously, I read them when I was a teen but stopped when I got "too cool" to read YA novels.) I've fallen absolutely in love with Sarah Dessen and her novels. She is a rock star writer. I haven't read too many other YA novels, though. This one has been on my to-reads list and I need to get around to reading it soon!

Great review!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

In general, I avoid YA because sometimes the characters aren't well developed... I know that is not always the case, but it's sort of how i feel about chick lit, too. If the story featured as strong female character, I would like it... But if the character is the dumb girl who makes dumb decisions, the books tend to annoy me!

I do want to check this book out, though. Mostly because of the back drop of Paris. I know that Paris is not for everyone and there are plenty of people who do not like that city one bit, but as you know - I adore Paris. I thikn it is stunningly beautiful and I love Parisian approach to life!

Shoshanah said...

I completely agree with your review. After reading so many good reviews about Anna, especially when it just comes off as cheesy, it's hard to buy it. But my expectations were definitely met with this.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

i've stayed away from this book too because it looks completely cheesy. i like some YA but some of it is eye poking inducing.