Thursday, August 14, 2014

Summer Highlights

Tomorrow (8/15/14) my summer ends and I go back to work. Half of me is excited and the other half is silently begging for another week. This summer, however, was quite epic ...

Lets recap, shall we?

  • I wrapped up my first year of teaching by having to pack up EVERYTHING in my classroom and send it off to storage so my building can be remodeled and updated. Not a great start to my summer. No, sir. 
  • Unpacking my entire life and combining said life with another human's life was .... interesting? We now own 3 pizza cutters, 15 spatulas, two beds, 4 dressers ... you get my drift! We are still finding stuff that we do not need and are planning to either donate it all, or have an epic garage sale. My husband is a pack rat and sees use in everything, so we might just keep it all (please, God, no). 
  • Planning a wedding proved to be never ending. My to do list NEVER ended, and instead it just kept getting bigger because in today's age of Pinterest, there is always more more more that we can do that we feel we must, but actually do not need to do at all ... 
  • Getting married to a man that I met two years ago and quickly fell head over heels for was by far the highlight of my summer. I am beginning a new school year next week with a new name and I cannot wait to begin correcting everyone on how to pronounce my new last name. :) 
  • Riding RAGBRAI for the first time almost immediately after our wedding day. For those of you that are not from Iowa, RAGBRAI stands for the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (the Register is the Des Moines newspaper) and it is a huge bike ride from western Iowa to eastern Iowa. The idea is to start at the Missouri River and finish at the Mississippi River. Bill and rode for three days in the middle, missing out on dipping our tires in any rivers, but we had a fantastic time and I cannot wait to tackle the entire ride next year!

     What are some of the highlights from your summer??

7 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

You definitely had QUITE the summer.
I was SO tired after my wedding, I can't imagine biking across Iowa after- you guys are amazing!

I hope the beginning of your year starts well! I am getting stressed about the year beginning!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

You have had a fabulous, busy summer! I am so glad I was able to attend your wedding and watch you two get married. And now I know how to pronounce your name - I had it all wrong until I read about how to pronounce it on your wedding website!

Good luck convincing Bill to purge. Maybe Phil can have an intervention. He wants to own, well, nothing. Ha.

Highlights of my summer include weekends at the lake, going for runs and grilling with Phil, attending your wedding, and spending an afternoon with my nephews.

Amber said...

I'm anxiously waiting for some wedding recap posts over here lady!

Good luck with going back to work, that would definitely be a tough one!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

It sounds like you had a very FUN but busy summer!

Shoshanah said...

I definitely say donate to goodwill! After upgrading a good number of our kitchen pieces that's where most of ours went. Although funny enough, we still don't actually have a pizza cutter!

Becky said...

Yeah I think your summer wins - I mean, hello, marriage!!!

Highlight from my summer would be moving - it was stressful and we're still recovering from it but I am oh so grateful for our new space!

Nora said...

What a summer you had! I remember when Knight and I merged houses. We had 2 microwaves and other silliness; we donated some, sold some and I still think we have 4 spatulas (which do come in handy when the dishwasher has yet to be run, I suppose). Love that you did RAGBRAI! One of my co-workers does it every year. Says the pie & beer at certain spots are his favorite. He already put in his vacation time for next year. Hope the new school year is going well =)