Thursday, March 21, 2013

My wild and crazy Spring Break...

Good morning!

Well, I am on Spring Break and it is quickly flying by. I wish I could say it's been wild and crazy and I've been relaxing on a beach somehwere... but... that is not the case. At all.  Even so, I cannot believe it is already Thursday and it is almost over. I had big plans for blogging and running and both got pushed to the bottom of the list each day.

Instead, this week I worked a ton at the agency and worked on my electronic portfolio. The agency is driving me a tad crazy. Organization is not a strength with a lot of human services employees and this place is no different. I also feel that I find many of the people in the industry burnt out and spread way too thin. Sometimes they make the job harder instead of easier. Since I am on call staff I work for many different people, but I report to one person. These days I am so thankful for the person I report to because she is always very consistent in her moods and how she treats her staff. If it wasn't for her, I do not think I would have lasted as long.

Moving on...

Do you have a portfolio for work? For teaching, we have electronic portfolios, but honestly, I do not think that very many administrators have the time to really look through it. Right now I am in the process of printing off all of the documents and artifacts and putting it all into a traditional portfolio format. This weekend I am attending a large teacher recruitment fair about three hours north of Des Moines and I although my portfolio is not finished I want to have something to show, so I'm printing everything off. It is kind of a big job, but hopefully it will be worth it.

I feel like once I get out of a good habit, I have the hardest time getting back into it. I have slacked majorly with running and blogging and I just cannot get back into it! Yesterday I registered for the Dam to Dam 20K, so hopefully that light a fire under me. I have two months to train and I better get on it!

What have you been up? If you had Spring Break what would you do with your time?

7 comments:

Julie said...

Hands down the non-electric portfolio is worth it. And if I were you I'd get some business cards as well. I graduated before the education world turn to electronic portfolio so I have the big printed out one they had us do for years so when it was time for interviews, I made a brag one. I get complimented on it a lot. If you'd like to see it, let me know, I can send you a pic. But have that, plenty of your resume packets ready and smile - they love that!

Good luck!

Kate at Green Fashionista said...

Super jealous you get spring break! The longest break I get is a long holiday weekend. Anything a week long is vacation time I choose to take :(

chandra said...

Good luck at the teacher fair this weekend! I feel like I haven't seen you in forever, I miss your pretty face!!

Amber said...

I had an online portfolio when I was doing a lot of freelance writing but I took it down when I got my new job last year. I might look into doing some other kind of online portfolio again if I can ever find the time just in case I ever need it for any reason!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

For recruitment fairs I'd suggest business cards and a smaller version of your portfolio with the bare basics, intro letter, resume, transcripts, sample lesson and maybe a letter of reference that you can hand out to people. No one ever wanted to look at my portfolio and I actually never finished it. I just worked on individual smaller ones to hand out when I interviewed with committees.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Well I am glad that I got to see you during your spring break! If I had a spring break, I would stay around Minneapolis, get caught up on moving errands, study during the day so I could have my nights free to see friends, and I would wake up without an alarm clock!

I hope the teacher fair you are at is going well and that you are one step closer to finding a job!!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I don't even have a portfolio. What do you put in yours?